[APWG] Question about burning bush pollination

Steve Young steveyoung at aol.com
Tue Jan 4 20:15:54 CST 2011

 Hi Janet, I'd like to respond from my perspective as an experienced invasive plant management volunteer focused on regenerating Long Branch Nature Center in Arlington, Virginia. I am unable to comment on the pollinator question except to express skepticism that lack of pollinators was much of a factor in perceived absence of fruits in earlier years. I do note the assertion in this web page:

http://hcs.osu.edu/hcs/TMI/Plantlist/eu_latus.html

from Ohio State that "many individual plants and/or cultivars have sparse fruits, if present at all." In contrast, this next source refers to its "prolific seed production" and high invasiveness:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/invasivetutorial/winged_euonymus.htm

I have painful first-hand experience with Burning Bush (Euonymus alatus) at Long Branch. It was planted as a landscape planting in some of the residences surrounding the 17-acre park, and in several private inholdings inside the park. Over a period of decades, literally thousands of seedlings invaded the park, and in places closest to source parents, began to create near-monocultures of dense offspring. I have seen variable, low to high levels of fruit production. It appears that the fruit are attractive to songbirds, so that the seeds are dispersed not just by gravity but very effectively by the birds over distances of tens of meters. Over time, infestations radiated outward into the natural area from the original landscape plantings over distances exceeding 100 meters. I have pulled and cut thousands of Euonymus alatus plants within this small park, and I continue to find seedlings coming up in areas where the parent plants are gone, indicating the presence of a seed bank that can last for multiple years.

I believe a little more research will further show you that it is widely regarded as highly invasive in Northeastern woodlands and that there are strong admonitions against planting it where it could invade natural areas.

Best and cheers,

Steve Young
Invasive plant management volunteer
Arlington, Virginia