[APWG] Mustard invades bare areas, needs native plants to control it

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Mon Feb 28 15:55:52 CST 2011

Honored Forum:

Much as I tend to agree with much of what Dremann says, some of his remarks
strike me as overstated.

For example, I have long been a proponent of using a healthy ecosystem
approach to alien species management. There's much more to this approach
than allelopathy, for example, about which little is known, less is proven,
and much based upon conjecture. The sequestration of nutrients by complex
biological associations, for example, has its conjectural components,
certainly, but at least has a well-grounded theoretical foundation. This is
not to say that I "don't believe in" allelopathy, I only suggest that it not
be the sole consideration when analyzing a highly complex phenomenon.

Like Dremman, I do not advocate the pulling or spraying of this weed (or
most others) either, but the devil is in the details.

I agree that any eradication program will theoretically have to be repeated
until the last seed is dead, and I hereby declare that I don't believe for a
second that that day will ever come--at any expense. I do not even know for
sure that population reductions that will turn back the cost-curve are
feasible, but since there seem to be so many individuals and agencies
concerned with this taxon's management, it seems to me to use that
inevitable momentum most wisely and see if an effective way of minimizing
its spread and the cost of a continuing program of reduction if eradication
is not possible. Again, my judgment, which I hope is quite wrong, is that
eradication is not likely to be possible. I am not all that confident that a
cost-effective reduction program is feasible, and it could be that
considerable money, effort, and the sucking away of resources from programs
or efforts with more promise or criticality could be the result of
allocating significant funds and effort to the management of this taxon. The
possibility, nay, the probability that Sahara mustard (SM) will outrun and
out-reproduce even a very large and expensive management program looms
darkly.

Neither do I, however, believe that "The only effective eradication or
control for this mustard, is to cover bare areas with native annual
vegetation . . ." even though I agree that the first consideration should be
working toward a healthy ecosystem; sometimes "toward" is not good
enough--sometimes (but not always) you have to "swamp" the site with cover.
(Most of the time, however, "swamping" is a mistake, and should be
undertaken knowing the risks by experienced hands who understand the
possible consequences of the alternatives.) In either case, however, the
elephant in the room, particularly with desert annuals, is the potential for
damage done to existing stands when seeds are taken to plant elsewhere. Many
a "seeding" project has wasted many a seed through much promise and little
performance. I suggest that "we" and the seed industry would be well-advised
to be prepared to answer questions about adverse effects upon existing
populations, lest we suffer a clampdown on wild seed collecting of
ridiculous proportions.

On the "bright" side, the worst of SM invasions seem to be markedly worse,
at this time, in disturbed areas--a condition to be expected in the case of
plants that benefit from disturbances like plowing, grading, and
wheel-spinning. It does appear in areas that are disturbed by erosion,
advulsion, wind, and other natural forces too, but insofar as my casual
observations indicate, SM does not "take over" relatively undisturbed areas
with the same ferocity as disturbed ones. Disturbing, yes, but encouraging
if good science can establish whether or not this is and will be true for
the duration, and the worst-case scenario is that SM will become little more
than an occasional weed in most or some undisturbed areas. We need honest
studies that can be and are replicated to answer these questions more
accurately or refute the present conjectures entirely.

As Dremman wisely points out, the simple expedient of refraining from
creating new bare areas, is probably the single most cost-effective step in
reducing the spread and increase of SM.

I believe I have mentioned before that I believe that some SM stands
constitute a potentially serious fire hazard. However, fire officials tend
to believe that discing and other forms of disturbance is the best
"solution" to such threats. "We" should take care to politely suggest that
other methods can be cheaper, more effective, and less damaging.

WT

PS: I should add to my previous post that broken SM stems (with seed pods
attached) often hang up in desert shrubs like creosote bush (obviating the
needs for drift fences?), from which they should be collected and disposed
of in some lethal way.