[APWG] ECOSYSTEM RESTORATION and weed management projects

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Tue Feb 15 00:38:35 CST 2011

Craig and APWG:

Thanks, Craig, for the additional information. The next time I'm in the
area, I will call Shaw and try to set up a visit, if he's willing.

I'd like to see the plots and get more data on the CALTRANS project too,
including the cost-effectiveness picture; I'll try to contact the right
person in CALTRANS and go out to the site. I don't know where it is and what
the treatment boundaries are.

I couldn't find anything on the FS links, but one did lead to a post of
yours from one of our previous discussions on APWG, on what you call "tiny
test plots." I set up about 24 10 square meter test plots and one half-acre
one at Malibu Creek SP in 1980 to test various methodologies; it turned out
that the cheapest method worked the best, though it didn't provide anything
close to 100 percent cover in 90 days. As I said, I consider such results to
be miraculous, but I gotta see it to believe it. Please understand that my
skepticism does not imply that I don't believe you, it just means that I'm
skeptical. I believe that context is everything, but if you're saying that
your trade secrets can produce such results every time (or even one time),
I'd say you are a miracle-worker--a better man than I am.

I have never been a fan of the 90/90 rule, even though I know that agencies
have been locked into this concept for decades. Coverage, to me, is the
easiest thing to achieve, but it is largely irrelevant in ecosystem
restoration--I assert that TREND toward IMPROVEMENT without SIGNIFICANT OR
LASTING DEGRADATION is more important, along with diversity and richness. I
have seen a lot of 90/90 (or 100 percent cover) projects fall apart as soon
as the expensive management is pulled out (but I will say that once
populations of indigenous species have been established by any means, they
can often recover and end up in the same place--it just takes more time and
money to get there that way. I don't know what kind of dollar figures you're
talking about, but my objective has been to keep the cost to a minimum and
to be realistic about feasibility. Of course, this opens a whole can of
worms debate, but that's healthy, provided that the discussion actually
moves forward through truly responsive and relevant feedback loops. What is
important in ecosystem restoration is PERMANENCE, that a complex, indigenous
assemblage of species develops into a functioning ecosystem that meets
Ewel's criteria too, especially (important to the subject matter of this
listserv) RESISTANCE TO INVASION.

I quite agree with you about most everything, especially when you discuss
actual methodology, like removing the biggest weeds first, species by
species. In places where a good seed bank exists in the site soil, I would
expect dormant indigenous species to appear. In such a context, while I am
usually not in favor of pulling or prying out big weeds because of the
disturbance setting up conditions for the emergence of additional weeds, the
practice just might prove to be a net benefit because a certain amount of
soil disturbance can stimulate the germination of indigenous species too.
That is, given world enough, money enough, and time enough, a persistent
de-weeding effort should quite naturally foster the growth of dormant
indigenous species.

Most of my clients, however, have balked at the high cost of intensive
management, and my own sense of dedication and responsibility has led me in
the direction of "the simplest, and often the cheapest, approach THAT GETS
THE JOB DONE has its own validity, provided it gets to the same or a better
(more advanced ecological) place--permanence and SELF-SUFFICIENCY.

I'm glad that you have been lucky enough to find projects with a rich,
viable, remaining seed bank. I have been faced with sterile soils or sites
so long-degraded that the seed bank was either non-existent (e.g., disposal
fills, sanitary landfills, etc.) or depauperate that the ratio of indigenous
propagules:weeds was so tilted toward the latter that artificial
introduction and in-migration by natural vectors were the major mechanisms
available. I have worked out ways to deal with such contexts, but they're
trade secrets. Just kidding--the "secret" is to acquire and synthesize
information into a sound theoretical framework that can be done with little
or no active management and still show a trend of increasing resistance to
evasion. In fact, I found something very interesting--the sterile projects
that depended upon artificial introduction of propagules and natural vectors
of in-migration actually produced less weeds than previously vegetated sites
that had significant populations of weeds. Of course, almost everyplace has
alien populations so nearby that natural vectors (and unnatural vectors like
vehicles, clothing, and domestic stock) will inevitably cause the
colonization of some alien species. But you are still right--in the sense
that in the case of sterile sites one has to artificially create the
indigenous seed bank. Just keep the aliens out of the "mix," as you so
sagely point out!

I'm gonna stop here, simply because the post is already too long. I will
say, however, that testing the two general approaches on sites that are as
near identical as possible would be an interesting test, don't you think?
Independent researchers could gather and analyze data over a period of time,
say three to five years (although assessment after the first year will tell
a lot. Just set the performance standards and have a go at it.

What the country needs is less wheel-spinning and endless grant-sucking, and
to find the most cost-effective way to shift ecosystems toward high
efficiency, resiliency, and productivity, and to serve human needs equitably
without degradation. We are in a degraded state now, have been for a long
time, and will be into the foreseeable future (although it appears to be
getting worse, not better). All of the "stakeholders" would benefit from an
honest evaluation and shift from a paradigm that is demonstrably "working"
miserably to one that serves human needs in a (yes, truly sustainable way,
not the warped and dishonest way it is often used as a spin device).

WT