[APWG] FIRE 11 Vegetation as fuel and ecosystem dysfunction Re:NEWS: In fire country, land managers struggle to fight cheatgrass

Ty Harrison tyju at xmission.com
Mon Feb 7 15:31:17 CST 2011

I couldn't agree more with Wayne Tyson's assessment that grazing in the arid
West is the "elephant in the room".  As Walter P. Cottam, Utah's early
ecologist observed in his now famous 1947publication:  "Is Utah Sahara
Bound?" (4 copies are available at Abebooks.com), the west's past,
uncontrolled, over-grazing history is clearly the source of all Cheatgrass
and other weedy evils.  Let's call a spade a spade.  The challenge is to
develop site-specific protocols for arid grassland restorations which can
exclude weeds.  I don't know if grazing can ever be compatible in these
fragile, low precipitation environments.   Dr. Ty Harrison, Emeritus
Professor of Biology, Westminster College, Salt Lake City, Utah