[APWG] Ecosystem Preservation Management Restoration Conservation Re: PCA: 2011 Request for Proposals for PCA NFWF Grant Program

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Tue Apr 26 19:21:02 CDT 2011

[Note: Since I am subscribed only to the APWG and Ecolog-l lists, this
"reply to all" message will probably be confined to those two. I do not
object if anyone wishes to forward this post to the other lists. WT]

All:

I am not interested in applying for grants (I am "retired"), but am quite
interested in the subject and in participating to the extent that I might be
useful to those who work in this area or in areas that overlap.

In my many decades of working in the applied area of ecosystem restoration I
spent about fifteen years learning through failure. To put it as briefly as
possible, the simplest (but multi-faceted) lesson that Nature finally got
through my thick skull was that "methods" that have any objective outside
the matching of habitat/environmental conditions with the requirements of
the species adapted to them and vice-versa are prescriptions for failure.
Conversely, changes in habitat/environment will cause changes in ecosystem
(the living component) composition and dynamics over time. The nature and
timing of management actions (or inaction) are important in sequencing
events that are transitional and transformational [Note: These terms are
used for the sake of brevity more than "accuracy."].

As an example of a practical matter, this means that cultural conventions
like agronomy and horticulture are technical minefields (as it were); while
they have elements in common with ecology, their practices, methods, and
"philosophies" must largely be discarded in favor of finding out just what
is actually going on in the ecological context. Plant-soil water relations,
for example, are the same with respect to basic principles, but are quite
different in their application to agronomic and horticultural practice than
they are to ecosystem analysis and management. Time, timing, and
change/interactions are important considerations that are often left out,
causing "failures."

Finally, ecosystem "management" and "restoration" are more illusory than
real; that is, "we" do not actually "restore" or "manage" ecosystems--they
are inherently unmanageable. We do, however, affect ecosystems in
significant ways. The direction of our influence upon living systems is ours
to choose, but Nature always bats last.

I invite criticism or discussion.

WT