[APWG] Alien Uses Re: NYT opinion--exotics are good, and are we immigrant bashers?

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Sun Apr 10 00:23:45 CDT 2011

Honorable APWG Forum:

Egocentrism is very hard to shake off; I have been trying for years, and, while the process is far from complete, I think I have made reasonable progress. So I can understand when people defend "positions" with great vigor. For example, I battled alien plants and animals until I was probably at least 30 years of age, when I found out, almost by accident, that there were alternatives to whacking and poisoning (and taking money from my clients under questionable pretenses). In the fifty-some years since then, I have still whacked and poisoned them, but with far less frequency and on smaller and smaller scales. That does not mean that I welcome every alien that crosses every border, but it does not mean that the only good alien in every situation is a dead alien either. (Ironically, my friend Jesus, once an illegal alien, but now a "naturalized" citizen whose ancestors, like some of mine, were, unlike some of my other ancestors, the "indigenes," where I, and other mixed-ancestry aliens now infest their lands, largely because the European and other alien populations came here and "won" a "war," forcing the ancestors of my friend Jesus across a line in the sand they drew and continue to dare them to cross "illegally," just whacked a bunch of plant aliens for me this week. I confess--I am an alien basher. But I've given up on the idea that the only good alien is a dead alien.

But that is just so much rhetoric. Since I consider it my responsibility, in addition to the rhetoric, to confront the particulars, I will respond to the article below by [[inserting comments into the text submitted for discussion thus.]]

WT

"I've only been wrong once, and that was one time when I thought I was wrong." --Author forgotten