[APWG] [CalWeedTalk] Removing invasive grasses

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Tue Apr 5 04:04:36 CDT 2011

1. Do not disturb soil for any reason.
2. Cut back the tall grasses to a convenient height; destroy seeds and
stolons/rhizomes. Cut them green, before they are capable of dehiscence (if
this is a problem, use a torch to cautiously cut bundles wrapped with bags
to contain seed.
3. Let new leaves form.
4. Touch/swipe with wet wick with degradable herbicide sufficient for a good
kill. Do not spray (Very low pressure with spray drift guard attached to
head of wand, coarse spray only, zero atomization, to wet only target
[larger] plants. Do not remove dead plants.
5. Work hard to determine optimal concentration and dose--start with light
concentration and minimal dose and increase gradually.
6. Increase density of indigenous species.
7. Plug ten square meter circles with (say ten?) soil samples taken
widely-spaced from donor/comparable site, placing them evenly over entire
site as budget will permit. You can plug indigenous plants the same way, at
the same time. Each year, add plugs until a satisfactory density is reached.
8. Do entire site at one time.
9. Keep after it with zero-tolerance removal of new sprouts or steps above.
10. Apply patience liberally.
11. Measure and map initially, after treatment, and during follow-up,
measuring and mapping trends.
12. Minimize trampling.

WT