[APWG] Removing invasive grasses

Holly Sletteland hslettel at calpoly.edu
Mon Apr 4 21:19:05 CDT 2011

Does anyone have any suggestions on an approach for removing invasive
grasses that are inter-mixed with wetland vegetation such as rushes, sedges
and native salt grass? The grasses we are dealing with are veldt grass
(Ehrharta calycina) and velvet grass (Holcus lanatus) primarily. We have a
real problem and we're not winning the battle by hand digging. There's too
much of a seed bank and the soil disturbance just brings up a whole new
crop. I'm thinking of perhaps "sacrificing" a section at a time and just
spraying everything and replanting wetland vegetation. I would try to hold
the line against any new invaders and move to a new section when things were
pretty well established. It might be  easier to control new grass shoots.
But I recoil at the thought of killing that many native plants. Are there
any selective herbicides (or concentrations) that would set the grasses
back, but not do in the sedges and rushes? Any other mechanical methods -
mulches, weed barriers, flamers, whatever that anyone has used with any
success? Help!

Holly Sletteland
Preserve Manager
Morro Coast Audubon Society