[APWG] Fw: Deer Control Article in The Washington Post

Robert Layton Beyfuss rlb14 at cornell.edu
Sat Nov 6 13:14:22 CDT 2010

Hi Wayne and all
I doubt if you will find much documentation of failed restoration efforts for any reasons from people who get money to perform these but perhaps some on this list may be willing to comment on their own experiences with deer? Most of my information is anecdotal from conversations with people who have had problems. I can forward you some recent of these emails if you are interested. I also did not mean to imply that deer do not eat exotics. In fact as an extension agent in a rural county I heard far more about deer damaging exotic landscape plants than native plants. Daylillies, hosta, spring flowering bulbs such as tulips, most evergreens etc are considered "deer candy" in many situations, especially suburban areas where deer hide from hunters. I also did not mean to imply that deer are not vital and necessary componnets to ecosystems. In this sense I agree with the theories of Alan Savory. Resource managers often manage forested land for different objectives. Hunters pay lots of money for hunting licenses which gives them far more political clout than people who pay no fess to enjoy seeing trillium and ginseng. Many deer hunters I know are far more interested in seeing a buck than a Baneberry.
Bob