[APWG] Texas Invasive Plant review applies to Aquatic plants only(?)

Bill Stringer bstrngr at clemson.edu
Tue Mar 2 09:49:11 CST 2010

Lists are designed to identify problems and potential solutions, only
an early step in a long road to solving problems.

What happens if you have a plant that is not approved?  Example
cogongrass.  Nurseries were (and some still are) selling Imperata
cylindrica.  Several states have recently outlawed the sale of this
plant, because we are trying to use the terrible experience of the
gulf states to head off the problem in SC and NC.  See
http://www.cogongrass.org/

Assigning colors to such lists is extremely unfortunate, as it lends
itself to turning the discussion to looking at ethnic analogies,
which is illogical.
The logical approach is an invasive plants list and a native
alternatives list.  Destroying infestations of invasive plants is
only the first step.  Native, non-invasive species need to be used to
help re-vegetate such areas to help prevent re-infestation.

Economic problems for who?  Farmers, fisheries managers, forestry
managers, wildlife managers, parks managers, etc., etc.

Thanx

Bill Stringer