[APWG] NEWS: Harvard biologist comes to the defense of the much reviled tree of heaven

Fuhrmann, Paul PFuhrmann at ene.com
Mon Jun 28 09:07:02 CDT 2010

Admiration (poor word choice) for tree of heaven may be warranted only
if accompanied by realization and condemnation for its impact on natural
landscapes.  The Niagara River Gorge and other riparian areas in Niagara
County NY. are examples.  I "admire" what a prolific seed producer and
how quickly it displaces native species in sensitive environments.  I
also "admire" Attila the Hun for similar reasons but doesn't mean either
is worthy of any good will or any dispensation for the destruction they
have caused.  Important to consider seedbank and that these tenacious
trees will escape form urban areas at any opportunity.

Paul Fuhrmann