[APWG] FW: Science or unfounded rumor?

Scott Lenharth scott.lenharth at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 21:39:13 CDT 2010

On the contrary, native plants are labeled and managed as invasives when
their colonization disrupts a given ecosystem.  Examples include the various
species of juniper here in the midwest and south.  At the same time, many
human-introduced plants are routinely ignored in land management since they
pose no threat to the target habitat.  Certain species of Daucus fit this.

There is a very real economic threat posed by invasives, especially in the
rangelands and farms of the western two-thirds of the country.  We're busy
killing sericea (Lespedeza cuneata) this week NOT because we're xenophobes
or blindly following some imposed order from Albany, but because it readily
invades prairies and pastures - decreasing native species and rendering the
fields unfit for grazing.

And yes, there are many factors involved in the changing plant composition
in world ecoregions.  Is that news to anyone?

(Wayne, your text quotes from an observation in the CA Native Plant Society
newsletter.  Nothing more.  Next step would be designing a study, yes?
Maybe someone did in the last 21 years.)