[APWG] Fw: [ma-eppc] Invasive Plant Papermaking Workshop at Bowman's Hill

Jil_Swearingen at nps.gov Jil_Swearingen at nps.gov
Tue Jul 6 09:32:03 CDT 2010

Hi,

Please see email below for all the details on this terrific workshop. And
pass the word.

Thank you,

Jil

________________
JIL SWEARINGEN
IPM and Invasive Species Coordinator
NPS National Capital Region
Center for Urban Ecology
4598 MacArthur Blvd. NW
Washington DC 20007
202-342-1443, ex 218
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
www.nps.gov/cue
www.nps.gov/plants/alien
www.invasiveplantatlas.org

What's a weed? A plant whose virtues have yet to be discovered. Ralph Waldo
Emerson
What's an invasive weed? A plant whose vices outweigh its virtues. - JS

----- Forwarded by Jil Swearingen/NCR/NPS on 07/06/2010 10:23 AM -----

             "Amy Hoffmann"
             <hoffmann at bhwp.or
             g>                                                         To
             Sent by:                  <ma-eppc at yahoogroups.com>
             ma-eppc at yahoogrou                                          cc
             ps.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       [ma-eppc] Invasive Plant
             07/02/2010 12:07          Papermaking Workshop at Bowman's
             PM                        Hill

Hi Everyone (apologies for cross-postings),

I thought you might be interested in knowing about one of our upcoming
classes – the instructor already tested our Japanese stiltgrass and said
that it makes lovely paper!

Invasive Plant Papermaking Workshop

Saturday, July 24, 2010

10 a.m. – 4 p.m.

Members: $40; Non-members: $50. Pre-registration required by Thursday, July
22, (215) 862-2924.

Learn how to make beautiful hand-made paper from non-native plants such as
garlic mustard and Japanese knotweed. Instructor Louise Barteau Chodoff
will take you through the communal activities of harvesting, preparing,
cooking, and beating the fibers. We will use the fibers to create beautiful
sheets of paper for participants to take home. This workshop teaches all
the basics of papermaking by hand from plant fibers while supporting local
biodiversity by using non-native invasive plants that compete with and
drive out native plants that supply food and cover for local wildlife.

Bowman’s Hill Wildflower Preserve is located on 1635 River Road (PA Rt. 32)
about 2.5 miles south of New Hope, Pennsylvania and convenient to I-95.

For information about programs at the Preserve, call (215) 862-2924, visit
www.bhwp.org, or email bhwp at bhwp.org.

Thanks!

Amy
Amy Hoffmann