[APWG] Stiltgrass options

Cynthia_Boettner at fws.gov Cynthia_Boettner at fws.gov
Fri Jan 29 12:37:17 CST 2010

Hello All,
Japanese stiltgrass is relatively new to Massachusetts.  We are trying to
control it along a rural ag/forest/residential roadside. Many patches are
too large to pull by hand, so another method is desired.  State regulations
make it difficult to use herbicides, except for a few (see second
paragraph).   We are also exploring the possibility of heat treatment.
Mervosh and Ward from CT Ag. Experiment Station got good results from a
400,000 BTU propane torch and found it to be effective.  I am wondering if
anyone has used  the 100,000 BTU unit or has tried the steam or foam
treatment.  I would appreciate hearing about effectiveness, how difficult
it is to avoid other vegetation, recovery of other species in years
following the treatment, and where these tools can be purchased.  (I am
aware of the source of Weed Dragons, Flame Engineering.)

I also hope to learn if any of the herbicides that are possible to use
under current MA regulations would be effective on stiltgrass, but not too
harsh on the other vegetation.  They include:  several glyphosate products;
metsulfuron methyl; metsulfuron methyl sulfometuron methyl; ammonium salt
of fasamine; imazapyr, and triclopyr, butoxy ethyl ester (the list,
including brand names, can be found at
<http://www.mass.gov/agr/pesticides/rightofway/Sensitive_Area_Materials.htm>).

In experiments to augment native species recovery after stiltgrass removal,
Flory added native seeds and found less recovery of the native community
(http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/fulltext/120848698/HTMLSTART).
Has anyone seen successful establishment of other plants by seeding after
stiltgrass removal?  If so, can you send details?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

Cynthia Boettner, Coordinator
Invasive Plant Control Initiative
Silvio O. Conte National Fish and Wildlife Refuge
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
103 E. Plumtree Rd.
Sunderland, MA  01375
Phone: 413-548-8002  ext. 115