[APWG] CONFERENCE: 2010 Ohio Botanical Symposium (Columbus, OH)

Olivia Kwong plant at plantconservation.org
Fri Jan 22 14:39:32 CST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Greetings Plant Lovers-

Spring will soon be here, and why not get geared up for the season by
attending the Ohio Botanical Symposium? Last year, over 400 people
attended.

This year's event features keynote speaker Doug Tallamay and sedge expert
Dr. Tony Reznicek.

------------------------

Native plants, pollinators, prairie restoration, rare plant discoveries and
sedges are some of the topics to be discussed on Friday, March 26, during
the 10th Annual Ohio Botanical Symposium.

Presented by the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR), Cleveland
Museum of Natural History, The Nature Conservancy and The Ohio State
University, the event will be held from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Villa Milano,
1630 Schrock Road in north Columbus.

This year, we are very excited about having Dr. Doug Tallamy as our keynote
speaker. His book "Bringing Nature Home: How Native Plants Sustain Wildlife
in Our Gardens" won the 2008 silver medal by the Garden Writer's
Association.

Jim McCormac, who was instrumental in starting the symposium ten years ago,
is returning to present the best plant discoveries talk. The first 3 years
of the symposium Jim gave this talk and started the annual tradition of
highlighting Ohio plant discoveries.

Dr. Tony Reznicek, the sedge guru, is going to speak about sedges and the
diversity and richness of the genus in Ohio and worldwide.

Martin McAllister is returning to speak on the restoration efforts at Agave
Ridge Prairie where famous ecologist E. Lucy Braun sampled in the 1920s.
Natural Areas has been monitoring the restoration effort with her original
transect for over 15 years. Martin always gives a humorous, informative
talk.

With the Hemlock Woolly Adelgid right on Ohio's doorstep in Pennsylvania,
it is important that we become familiar with the serious pest. Brad Onken
of the U.S. Forest Service is one of the authorities on this insect and he
will talk about the efforts to control this highly destructive species.

Finally, Dr. Lynn Loveless, who has been studying evolutionary biology of
plants and pollinators, will discuss the relationships between pollinators
and plants and how they have co-evolved over thousands of years.

The event will also feature displays from a number private and public
conservation organizations and vendors offering conservation-related items
for purchase.

The $25 attendance fee includes conference materials, continental
breakfast, buffet lunch and break refreshments. Registrations will be
accepted until March 22. For registration forms and more details, visit
http://www.ohiodnr.com/tabid/20259/Default.aspx or contact Rick Gardner at
614-265-6419.

Please spread the word about the symposium to your friends and colleagues.

Tom Arbour

Ohio Natural Heritage Program
Ohio Department of Natural Resources
Phone (614) 265-6472