[APWG] Myriophyllum aquaticum

Renee Brecht pbfiddler at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 17 07:26:21 CDT 2009

We've just recently identified Myriophyllum aquaticum in a stream in southern New Jersey. It is the first population thought to be overwintering in the state though it has been found in the state before.
Yesterday we kayaked a stretch of the stream-that being our only access- and found that it was found in pockets the entire stretch of at least a mile to the dam where we finished. In one area there was just enough room to get through with the kayaks because most of the width of the stream was covered with it.
We have yet to check below the dam because of private property issues and have not checked the entirety of the headwater areas.
I've done some general reading on control of this plant and it seems very challenging. Does anyone have any firsthand experience and/or recommendations as to control of M. aquaticum?
Thanks,

Renée Brecht
Associate Director
Citizens United to Protect the Maurice River and its Tributaries