[APWG] Ecosystem management Phytotoxins Fungal Re: Native fungi might be there, for each weed species in USA?

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Fri Sep 4 18:06:39 CDT 2009

APWG:

Again thanks to Craig for providing links to his references; only in this
way can we efficiently progress as a united society.

The use of "Cipro (R)" as an analogy strikes home. I was treated with
fluroquinilones for double-pneumonia a few years ago, and there is a strong
possibility that my disability (two ruptured tendons and a tendency toward
tendonitis) was a result of taking those drugs. And it reveals a principle
that might be of some use in the current discussion. The effects of various
compounds and elements upon populations varies with individuals; I happened
to be susceptible to the tendon-rupture effects of fluroquinilones, and
apparently am a member of a relatively small subpopulation that is
susceptible.

Similarly, populations of other organisms vary in their susceptibility and
resistance to the effects of other organisms, compounds, and elements. When
one organism advances, another population might be reduced or increased by
virtue of what we call "ecosystem dynamics." "Successful" adaptations
stimulate other adaptations. Genes shift as environmental conditions change,
and resistance grows. That's the fundamental problem with H1N1 viruses--they
adapt quickly to vaccines.

There's no free lunch, and success is short-lived.

WT

"Big fleas have little fleas, upon their backs to bite 'em, and little fleas
have lesser fleas, and so ad
infinitum." --http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Siphonaptera