[APWG] Ecosystem management Alien species Phytoxins and or complex interactions? Re: Microstegium disease

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Fri Sep 4 17:46:07 CDT 2009

APWG: (Please note: In an attempt to prevent multiple emails, I have shorn
the odd-looking "code" from the end of the previous post. I hope this cures
the problem of multiple emails, but if it does not, please advise. Thanks to
all for your patience.)

While it may make apparent "practical" sense to "pull" fewer bigger weeds
than a lot of small ones, the pulling of a bigger weed also can rip up a
bigger proportion of the mycorrhizal net too, as well as cause a bump in the
available nutrients and create optimal conditions for seed capture and
germination (not to mention the "Hydra" effect sometimes involved in the
case of asexual propagules), including those lying dormant in the seed
"bank." Quite so that even standing-crop reduction "might not change
invasion dynamics very much." While pulling all weeds large and/or small
might provide visceral satisfaction and leave a "clean" feeling, such a
Herculean effort may not be necessary. The counterintuitive "action" of
leaving it up to ecosystem dynamics, including the development of the
mycorrhizal net, letting second-growth vegetation sequester nutrients, and
even perform ecosystem services that all the "King's" researcher men and all
the King's researcher men haven't even guessed at yet, just might get
farther eventually. This is not to say, however, that less traditional
measures might not be taken to accelerate those dynamics, including
resistance to invasion (Ewel, 1987, and St. John, 1992
http://www.rngr.net/Publications/proceedings/1992/stjohn.pdf/file ).

When intuition and evidence butt heads, the former often drives and
"validates" the paradigm, but an intuition driven by a bit of new or
challenging evidence and theory might just lead toward a "paradigmless"
future.

WT

Ewel, J. J. 1987. Restoration is the ultimate test of ecological theory. pp.
31-33 in: W. R. Jordan, M. E. Gilpin, and J. D. Aber (eds.). Restoration
Ecology: a synthetic approach to ecological research. Cambridge University
Press, Cambridge.