[APWG] Ecosystem restoration Straw effectiveness and weeds Re: Substitute local native ecotypes, for the exotics in the seed mixes?

Patricia Ruta pruta at fs.fed.us
Thu Sep 3 16:43:15 CDT 2009

Hi Wayne, Sorry, I missed seeing your response earlier in my emails and
just "found" it today.

I am interested in what you are saying about straw mulching. We do not
mulch if we seed in November just before snow onset. But we do lightly
mulch if we do a late spring or early summer seeding. Mulching is still
listed as a recommended procedure with the growers who provide our seed.
So I am curious about your reference to the narrow window for which
mulching does make a difference. What window is it effective in? and what
results have you read about how mulch does not help seeding success?  I
would think it would help keep moisture on the soil surface, help prevent
wind movement of seed, and help reduce bird predation of seed. Though, as
you note, it is a long-time customary practice and I don't know that I
have read anything about it in the literature for native seeding projects.
 The weed issue with straw is definitely a problem, and we have been
looking at using harvested native meadow hay as a possible mulch in the
future. One native plant producer produces a hay from at least some of his
native plant crops.

My earlier comment was on the issues we have had with some DOT projects
coming in as heavy invasive sweet clover. They routinely use straw or hay
as a mulch. They have a set of protocols that they follow, though we have
been working with them to make some local changes to the protocol. I think
that this mulch issue is one we are going to have to work on as it is
totally negating the native seed we are requiring them to use for projects
occuring on the Forest. They also use a widely woven mat with squares
about 2 or 3 inches for the steeply sloped areas. These areas (in first
full growing season since road construction) do not appear to be
successful for revegetation, though perhaps it is simply too soon. We have
had some very good results with DOT projects that were not steeply sloped.

You requested more info on Michigan "ecotype" and I am not sure about that
reference. I think the word "ecotype" was in the title of the earlier
email that I hit "reply" to.  I mentioned Michigan native genotype seed is
required for planting whenever possible for any of our restoration
projects. And that measure is to try to maintain the local gene pool of
our native plants, as much as is possible. We don't use any non-natives in
our mixes on the Forest, other than a possible oat or winter wheat
non-persistent nurse crop.

 " Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some
blunders and absurdities have crept in. Forget them as soon as you can."
                   Ralph Waldo Emerson

Patricia Ruta McGhan, Botanist
Manistee National Forest
(231) 745-4631ext. 3102
email: pruta at fs.fed.us

"Wayne Tyson" <landrest at cox.net>
08/27/2009 09:45 PM

"Patricia Ruta" <pruta at fs.fed.us>
cc
<apwg at lists.plantconservation.org>
Subject
Ecosystem restoration  Straw effectiveness and weeds  Re: [APWG]
Substitute local native ecotypes, for the exotics in the seed mixes?

Patricia Ruta McGhan and APWG

I'm not sure why you're using straw. I know it has been popular (the
custom) for years, but is only effective in a fairly narrow range of
cases, and even in those it has its down-sides, in addition to being
weedy.  Without specifics it is difficult to comment intelligently. How do
you define (specify) "Michigan native ecotype?"

WT

Do you get "pop-outs" or other surficial slope failures in treated areas?
Are soils compacted? Is it used on structural fills? How effective is it?