[APWG] Ecosystem restoration standards Re: Buy a LICENSE or buy a pig in the poke?

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Tue Sep 1 19:28:14 CDT 2009

APWG:

I think I already mentioned this, but just to make it clear (especially
since I have been singing Craig's praises, so well-deserved in so many
ways), I must say that while I do believe that Craig has a perfect right to
pursue his campaign for his kind of standards, I don't agree that his
standards are necessarily necessary; further, I have yet to confirm (and he
has not, to my knowledge, yet confirmed) that his projects remain
functioning ecosystems that are 100 percent weed-free in perpetuity without
continued maintenance. It's not that I don't believe it; it's only that I do
doubt it--as much as I want to see the evidence or at least hear it stated
unequivocally from him.

As to the licensing question, I also have pretty much exhausted my attempts
to get unequivocal responses from anybody on that issue too.

As to the cost, I don't think that establishing a trend toward an improving
ecosystem over time should cost anywhere near what I understand his
estimates to be, and I am concerned that those very high costs will retard
progress toward the popularity of ecosystem restoration (and thus, to the
diminishment of alien-species populations) over time. I do not agree that
the only way to do this is the "100 percent in 90 days" standard that Craig
proposes, and I think there are responsible alternatives that might be at
least as effective on a different time-scale. I further believe that that
time-scale is arbitrary and unnecessary, and perhaps not even advisable. I
remain willing to be persuaded otherwise by the evidence. Nature's time
scale is the most relevant one, whatever that might be in any given case,
and that, not arbitrary limits, should set any standard.* The important
thing is the TREND, not the calendar.

As it stands, it appears that Craig and I are divided on these two issues
even though we seem to agree on so much else. I look forward to an open
discussion of the relative merits of these issues.

WT

*Any ecosystem restoration project should establish a trend toward increased
species diversity up to its maximum feasible level according to site
conditions and be resistant to invasion without further intervention and
continue to function as a natural ecosystem substantially similar to that
existing prior to disturbance.

I invite APWG and others to suggest modifications to this standard. I have
tried to make it as brief as possible, but maybe it needs to be longer.
Discuss?