[APWG] Insect in hemlock forests causes loss of canopy, gain of invasive plants

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Tue Jun 16 09:08:09 CDT 2009

Thanks to MPWG listmember, Russ Richardson, for forwarding this link!

I'm sure it's readily apparent why I've posted this to the Alien Plant
listserve (APWG) - but I'm also posting it to the Medicinal Plant
listserve (MPWG) because many of our medicinal plants live in the
understory.

Insect in hemlock forests causes loss of canopy, gain of invasive plants
By Sarah Yang, Media Relations | 26 May 2009
BERKELEY ? Deep in the hemlock forests of the Eastern United States, a
tiny, aphid-like insect may be playing a giant role in transforming an
ecosystem, according to new research by ecologists at the University of
California, Berkeley.

The understory environment of hemlock forests, characterized by uniformly
low light levels and little plant cover, has been significantly altered by
the decline of the hemlock canopy caused by an exotic pest, the hemlock
woolly adelgid. (Anne Eschtruth photo)

It's been well-documented that the spread of the hemlock woolly adelgid,
an exotic pest native to Asia and introduced to the Eastern United States
in the 1950s, has led to a decline of the shade-providing canopy in
forests of eastern hemlock trees. The insect (Adelges tsugae) sucks fluid
from the base of hemlock needles, causing the needles to drop and the
branches to die.

Full story at:
http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2009/05/26_exoticpests.shtml

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 110
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276
Working for the conservation and sustainable use of our green natural
resources.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal