[APWG] Impacts of invasive plants on wildlife: opportunity to speak in Alaska

Tricia Wurtz twurtz at fs.fed.us
Wed Jan 28 16:53:49 CST 2009

Hello,

There are relatively few invasive plants in Alaska, and they still have
very limited distributions.  One influential group of Alaskans that is
generally not involved in invasive plant prevention and EDRR activities
are wildlife professionals. In order to begin educating this group about
the threat to wildlife posed by invasive plants, the Alaska Chapter of the
Wildlife Society is hosting a session on this topic  at its annual meeting
in Fairbanks, April 7 and 8, 2009.

We are seeking knowledgeable people from the lower 48 states and Canada
who can speak on impacts to wildlife in their region.  We are particularly
interested in talks that consider the impacts of reed canary grass,
spotted knapweed, cheatgrass, Canada thistle, orange hawkweed, and
Japanese knotweed.  Each of those species is found in Alaska, but their
distributions are still very limited.  The object of this session is to
convince Alaskan wildlife managers that the spread of these species will
negatively impact wildlife in our state.

I have been referred to, and then contacted, several different people in
the western US, and for one reason or another, none of them is able to
come.  Now I am casting a wider net, in hopes of not having to cancel the
session.  Your talk would be 15-20 minutes.  Can you share your experience
and knowledge for Alaska's benefit?

Our program is able to pay full travel costs for appropriate speakers.  If
you are interested, please contact me at twurtz at fs.fed.us as soon as
possible.
Regards,
Trish Wurtz

Tricia L. Wurtz, PhD, Ecologist
USDA Forest Service, R10 S&PF, Forest Health Protection
Invasive Plant Program Coordinator,
Forest Health Monitoring Coordinator,
Regional Pesticide Coordinator,
3700 Airport Way, Fairbanks Alaska 99709
(907) 451-2799
http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/spf/fhp/
twurtz at fs.fed.us