[APWG] Ecosystem management and restoration planning Plants Alienspecies component Re: NEWS: Removing species fromsub-Antarctic island 'causeddisaster'

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Wed Jan 14 21:31:34 CST 2009

KA and PC:

Of course I agree; however, I have seen many cases where individuals' and
organizations' actions in alien-bashing have left me with the impression
that their knowledge and skills were more limited than would be necessary
for the error avoidance procedures you mention, and were not only not
followed, they were strenuous objections. On one occasion, for example, when
it was suggested in a statewide alien plant orginazation's seminar that
optimal allocations of scarce resources be a consideration according to a
priority list based upon the procedures mentioned, including feasibility and
infeasibility as well as net effectiveness (I'm trying to make a long story
short here), there was outraged objection based on the "logic" that "we know
they are invasives, and that's all we need to know, etc., so forget all that
bs and just get on with the work. The seminar leaders apparently agreed and
emphasized technique "effectiveness" such as which herbicides to use, how to
use mechanical methods, etc. Suggestion that improving ecosystem "health" or
any kind of integrated analysis and proof of restoration of ecosystem
equilibrium was consider an obstacle to action rather than a necessary or
even useful part of a comprehensive and integrated program that would result
in true long-term effectiveness. The emphasis seemed to be on gaining
satisfaction only by the removal or killing of aliens in the short-term.
"Nature" was supposed to "take care of everything else." The general
impression given was that if one was not a true-believer in the
organization's precepts that vilification or worse would be in store for the
offenders.

I don't know the case to which you allude, but it would seem that the
California case might be indicative of something along the lines just
mentioned. Someone with even the most casual knowledge of ecological
processes should know--for starters-- that weeds "like" light. The effects
of the eradication efforts on such simple concepts and soil water,
nutrients, and nutrient sequestration might have been in the realm of
"needless" complexity.

Nonetheless, I am reassured that somewhere all who are working on invasives
do "understand that they are working in ecosystems and what that means."

WT