[APWG] Ecosystem management and restoration planning Plants Alien species component Re: NEWS: Removing species from sub-Antarctic island 'causeddisaster'

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Tue Jan 13 18:46:26 CST 2009

APWG:

While we don't usually think of predator-prey relationships with plants, there can be situations where alien plant removal procedures are detrimental to ecosystem health. And the lesson here of understanding interspecies connections and making predictions that are testable as theory, then test plots, then useful procedures, beats the "find 'em, whack 'em, and forget 'em" approach that is far too widely used (sometimes with good results,* but too often with negative or neutral results). While consideration of the whole ecosystem context may take more time, it can minimize error, expense, and wasted or counterproductive effort.

WT

*Ecosystems are resilient--that is, "forgiving." But correlations are not always reflective of causation, and a shift in context can mean success in one case, failure in another.