[APWG] [PCA] Invading Transgenes

Gena Fleming genafleming at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 22:24:31 CST 2009

I understand the general idea behind gene banks is that they might offer
some sort of limited remedy in the event of climate change or nuclear
holocaust, in terms of reseeding the planet in a worse-case scenario.

With respect to this thread, however, I am not sure how to process the
suggestion that gene banks are valuable when you can't control the change.
The article of dicussion points to confirming evidence that genetically
modified corn has contaminated Mexico's wild maize..  This is confirmation
in addition to the original evidence published in Nature, in a study
authored by Ignacio Chapela and David Quist.  The ensuing controversy almost
cost them their careers. (http://ngin.tripod.com/deceit2.html)

So what we are talking about here is contamination that has occurred though
development of proprietary genetically modified crops by multinational
corporations (such as Monsanto) and with the deregulatory support, sometimes
as well as shared intellectual property rights, of the United States
government.  These same players have an influential role in gene banks.

And the issue is that once these proprietary crops are grown in the wild,
their genetic drift can not be controlled and therefore  they contaminate
wild species with their transgenes.

Since we can't control the way multinational corporations and the United
States government are genetically contaminating our natural
resources, violating species boundaries and introducing genetic constructs
designed (in some instances) to deliberately shut down natural reproduction,
is it a good thing they have access to the gene banks so they can also
control what little may be let of life when the collective effects of
their genetic tampering reach such proportions that a global catastrophe
ensues?  As Steve points out, reintroduction would be compromised by the
prevailing genetic environment.  Genetic contamination can not be called
back.

Of course, gene banks are a useful resource.  It is especially
disheartening that wars have destroyed regional banks, such as in Iraq and
Afghanistan.

But it is essential to consider the ways we might take back control of
events, by taking responsibility for safeguarding the environment and our
food security, and placing the world on a less threatening course.

1)  The pursuit of genetic modification is fueled by intellectual property
rights incentives.  The patenting of life has never been voted on by the
American people.  Is it constiutional?  We need to get this issue in front
of Congress.

2)  Review  repercussions of the Bayh-Dole act and the corporate-university
relationship.  We need research for the public good, not just research for
corporate profit and market control.

3)  Reorganize economic and technologic development to address ecologic
imperatives, instead of maximum efficiency and economic profit for the
controlling few.

The best way to preserve genetic plant resources is to grow them.  We need
ecologic resilience, not novelty introduced for the sake of a patent and a
market monopoly.  What if we took  the funding for patent-oriented research
and instead supported farmers and conservationists in the growing of
heirloom crops, medicinal and native plants, and in ecologic restoration
projects?

The current trend is to interfere with natural safeguards in order to
re-arrange nature to accommodate existing corporate priorities and
industrial processes (as well as introduce new market monopolies).  One
isolated example is forest trees that are being engineered for decreased
lignin (making them weaker and susceptible to disease) in order to
accommodate the paper industry because this makes trees more easily
processed into paper.

In other words, the way the paper industry is currently set up, it would
create an expense for them to change their equipment and way of doing things
to make paper out of alternative sources, such as hemp or kudzu.

So, instead of investing in alternative technologies for paper manufacture,
we are decimating the genetic integrity of forest trees and continuing to
obliterate our forests.  Meanwhile, kudzu (which can also be used as a
medicine) grows unabated while we rant about how evil it is instead of
harvesting it for paper manufacture and medicine while leaving our forests
intact.

I say "we" because whoever, whatever, wherever we are, we have to assume
collective responsibility for the direction our society is going.  I know I
do not have easy answers or expect anyone else to either.  But communication
is essential to the healthy functioning of all organisms and biologic
systems.  It is in this spirit that I speak, in the hope that we can
collectively see our way through and effect change where an individual can
not.

In summary:  Essential oganizational structures (DNA code) within Nature are
being rearranged (forcefully bombarded with foreign genes from other genera
and kingdoms) to benefit the status quo. But current economic and
bureaucratic structures are not even reliable in their own realms, much less
as an adequate replacement for the intricate web of relationships that
define living organisms and systems.

Let's keep keep Nature the way she is and rearrange the status quo.

best regards,

Gena Fleming