[APWG] Invading Transgenes

Gena Fleming genafleming at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 15:12:00 CST 2009

I think it's imperative that we recognize transgenes from transgenic
"forest" (planation) trees and other modified plants will also inevitably
escape and contaminate the wild.

Why are we reorganizing nature?  How is this passing for "science"? - Gena
Fleming

Excerpt and link:

"NOW it's official: genes from genetically modified corn have escaped into
wild varieties in rural Mexico. A new study resolves a long-running
controversy over the spread of GM genes and suggests that detecting such
escapes may be tougher than previously thought.

In 2001, when biologists David Quist and Ignacio Chapela reported finding
transgenes from GM corn in traditional
varieties<http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2129-row-over-contamination-of-mexican-wild-maize.html>in
Oaxaca, Mexico, they faced a barrage of criticism over their
techniques.
*Nature*, which had published the research, eventually disowned their
paper<http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg17423471.800-the-great-mexican-maize-scandal.html>,
while a second study by different researchers failed to back up their
findings.

But now, Elena Alvarez-Buylla<http://www.ecologia.unam.mx/ie/academicos/alvarez/alvarez_contacto.htm>of
the National Autonomous University in Mexico City and her team have
backed Quist and Chapela's claim. They found transgenes in about 1 per cent
of nearly 2000 samples they took from the region (*Molecular Ecology*, vol
18, p 750)."
Full article:<http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20126964.200-transgenes-found-in-wild-corn.html>

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20126964.200-transgenes-found-in-wild-corn.html