[APWG] Ecosystem restoration Straw effectiveness and weeds Re: Substitute local native ecotypes, for the exotics in the seed mixes?

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Thu Aug 27 20:45:32 CDT 2009

Patricia Ruta McGhan and APWG

I'm not sure why you're using straw. I know it has been popular (the custom) for years, but is only effective in a fairly narrow range of cases, and even in those it has its down-sides, in addition to being weedy.  Without specifics it is difficult to comment intelligently. How do you define (specify) "Michigan native ecotype?"

WT

Do you get "pop-outs" or other surficial slope failures in treated areas? Are soils compacted? Is it used on structural fills? How effective is it?