[APWG] Ecosystem Restoration and Alien Species eradication Costs and Effectiveness Re: Costs of first successful weed conversions, to 100% natives

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Tue Aug 25 00:07:53 CDT 2009

APWG and Craig,

I never figured I would get rich (I didn't) doing ecosystem restoration, but
I would liked to have made more money. And I would have liked to have spread
it around some more, even though I tried to by depending upon
sub-consultants instead of employees. I didn't want to become the GM of
ecosystem restoration, and I didn't. In fact, I preferred to be a
sub-consultant, and was on a number of projects. It didn't always work out,
but I was always happy when it did. I worked my tail off, and was able to
sleep at night. If I had had Craig's energy, I might have done better.

I don't need no stinkin' computers!* (But I grant that they are useful tools
in the right hands.)

I still don't have enough answers/responses from previous
questions/statements to know how to respond to the 90/90 issue, but I am
open to the evidence. On the other hand, I continue to suspect that
California, the West, and the World are probably stuck with most of the
alien species they have, but that they can, in many cases, be driven back
into relative insignificance by altering the environments in which they
thrive (degraded ecosystems) to environments in which they do not thrive
(truly restored ecosystems--fully self-sufficient without perpetual
maintenance--with permanently suppressed relict populations of alien
species). Please note that I am talking about both plant and animal
populations.

While I am happy to see Craig getting things done with great devotion and
energy, I suspect that, while we have the same goals, we apparently have
different ways of achieving them; however, I can only speak for myself. To
keep costs down, I have used different ways of reducing alien populations
and advancing indigenous ones. Diversity should, can, and has increased over
time and alien populations reduced. While I would like to see pre-historical
"purity" in restored ecosystems, I would rather see the money spread
farther, along with the treated area. While I would like to see military
spending transferred to ecosystem restoration/alien species eradication, I
suspect that such a goal is a dream for some halcyon future and that the
next several generations will have to settle for less that perfect purity. I
am concerned that overpromising may undercut credibility for ecosystem
restoration/alien species reduction, especially when huge sums are involved
and then fail or do not prove self-sufficient and progressive in terms of
increasing diversity up to the carrying capacity of each site, adjusted for
site/environment requisites that cannot be provided on large scales.

The Tiny Test-Plot (TTP) method sounds fine to me; I in fact used something
similar in the early 80's. We (I never worked alone, I just contracted
alone, with at most one or two actual "employees," (aka "wage slaves.")
found that the plots could slowly colonize adjacent areas where aliens
dominated extrapolating from examples of spontaneous recolonization of
indigenous species, and the idea was that they would eventually merge into a
single healthy ecosystem, perhaps not entirely free of aliens, reduced to
relative insignificance. As long as humans exist, there will be a certain
degree of degradation of ecosystems; I suspect that we first have to begin
doing less harm, and work toward an uncommon "commons," as it were . . .

While I agree with Craig's three points in some ways, there are other ways
too look at them generally, keeping in mind that the devil is in the
details. My comments are [[in double-brackets WT]]

"(1.) DRILL SEEDED, huge mistake.  The plot was drill seeded instead of
broadcast-sown.

[[I have never drill-seeded anything but crops when I was a boy, but I would
not say that drill-seeding is always a mistake. However, the important thing
in "seeding" is emergence, density, survival, reproduction, and stand
permanence at carrying capacity. Both drilling and broadcasting have their
advantages and disadvantages, depending upon how they are done. The proof is
in the assessment of effectiveness, and perhaps cost-effectiveness. WT]]

"(2.) SOWING RATE, way too low. The sowing rate of the Stipa grass was only
about 1/10th of the rate per acre needed to get good cover on the site,
and,

[[I don't think cover is everything. There is such a thing as too much
cover. In addition to suppression of companion species, excessive seeding
can result in placing excess demand on site resources (e.g., available
water), especially when seed depth is uniform (which it usually should not
be). On sites where AWC is limited, more widely spaced plants (seeds or
growing plants) can initially be more productive in the long run, by
allocating scarce resources to fewer, better-performing plants rather than
too many plants that cannot develop with optimal emergence, density,
survival, reproduction, and stand permanence at carrying capacity. Having
too many roots to feed can be as big a mistake as not having enough--the
important thing is what one ends up with. WT]]

"(3.) SINGLE SPECIES, huge mistake. Only one native species was sown, and
no other natives were sown to fill the niche of the broadleaf weeds, like
anything from the sunflower family to take the place of the yellow star
thistle, for example."

[[Well, yes--it would be better to mimic Nature more closely and introduce
the maximum number of species possible. But, depending upon the details,
single-species sowing and/or planting is not necessarily, in of itself, a
HUGE mistake. Had other variables been different, drilling might have been
effective. It seems to me that a number of factors worked against success.
Craig, you do mean "anything [[INDIGENOUS TO THE SITE]]  from the sunflower
family," right? WT]]

[[ [4.] As I said before, I can't do much but speculate without doing a
proper evaluation (which I have done for governmental agencies in the past),
but one "mistake" I would think would be glaringly obvious is site
homogeneity. There are many others that come to mind, but I hesitate to go
any further, as I really don't like to generalize. WT]]

WT

PS: I published on my methodology rather than outright asked for "license"
fees. "Licensing" would not have worked anyway, without extensive training.
Even when I told people how to do it, they found a way to mess it up. There
is no substitute for an adequate, if not complete, understanding of the
principles involved. I had developers interview me, then use my copyrighted
article in their subdivision proposal, implying and outright saying that I
had been consulted, got their project approved, then screwed it up--they
were only interested in approval and saving money. I had other well-meaning
practitioners try to use an article as a cookbook, then completely
misinterpret one element of the "recipe," causing total failure and complete
loss of the investment. A state agency once called to complain about the
failure of a project that I had never heard of . . .

*Misattributed to a character in "The Treasure of Sierra Madre," and here
further mutilated.