[APWG] Ecosystem Restoration Cost and Benefits and Marketing Re: MONEY to convert weeds back to 100% native, in the arid West

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Sun Aug 23 21:00:28 CDT 2009

Craig and APWG:

I always figured that a sustained (and entirely self-sufficient, in terms of
water, fertilizer, and maintenance, concentrating on periodic surveys to
demonstrate that a functioning ecosystem was in place, with no increase in
alien species populations after the first three to five years) trend toward
increasing diversity/richness was sufficient if the costs could be kept low
enough to make ecosystem restoration popular. In any case, it was better
than the "erosion control planting" that was going on at the time, with a
few "native" species as tokens. Your claims sound wonderful, but I wonder
how practical it is if the objective is to do widespread restoration over
large acreages. I hope I can understand what's happening better when/if I
can see one or more of your projects and get a chance to talk with you.
Emails just don't do the job when it comes to nuances and full
communication.

I tend to agree with much of what you say, but I'm having real trouble with
high cost being an impediment to effectiveness and it being a tool for "the
opposition" to claim that it is too costly. If the trend toward ecosystem
degradation could be turned around and the populations of alien species put
on a declining curve, if there could be a major and a widespread
"reconversion" process set in motion, many--maybe even me--might see
ecosystem restoration become a widely-embraced "alternative" to landscaping,
"range mismanagement-management," "erosion control" and other failed and
outdated approaches to land management.

While I agree with your objective of 100 percent philosophically, I am a bit
dubious about any such restoration to remain completely free of aliens
without perpetual maintenance. I have seen a lot of grand promises fail
miserably, and have done post-failure analyses for government agencies on
projects where cost was no object but the technical competence was crucially
deficient. Of course, I think ecosystem restoration technology has a long
way to go. I would be delighted to be convinced that all is well and a
solution to the problems of alien domination over indigenous ecosystems is
only a matter of buying our way to a weed-free, self-sufficient ecosystem in
CA, the USA, and ze World.

WT