[APWG] Ecosystem restoration and alien species eradication FIRE EFFECTS Re: Fire as part of the Tiny Test plots

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Fri Aug 21 18:10:06 CDT 2009

APWG:

I gotta say that I wish I had known about Craig and his company years ago.

Again I gotta say that I generally agree with most of what Craig posts,
especially in this one. I have seen fires stimulate both alien and
indigenous species, but that is likely due primarily to the increase in
available nutrients and (temporarily) altered soil conditions. The seed
"bank" (viable propagule assemblage, e.g. including non-seed reproductive
structures) and the altered post-fire site environment (e. g. killed seeds,
broken-dormancy seeds, seeds otherwise exposed to an environment favorable
to germination that were previously deprived of sufficient, light,
temperature, oxygen, favorable pH, etc.) can confound some generalizations
about fire as a "tool," so one experience in one context may or may not be
repeated in another.

I might emphasize Craig's conclusions even more, and go so far to say that
even though wildland fires did occur prior to the alien invasion that began,
say, effectively, a couple hundred years ago or so (post-1769), they were
much less frequent than they are now, particularly in Southern California.
The missionaries and those that followed them, along with their livestock,
crops, and weeds, trampled the Eden that was California (and elsewhere in
the Western Hemisphere and Oceana) into submission and laid the wasteful
foundation for the hellfire we must now contend with through their arrogant,
ignorant self-righteousness which we have inherited and persist in
repeating. The oats and other alien (not co-evolved with the indigenous
components of the native ecosystems) plants not only release more heat
energy more quickly that is particularly destructive (much more destructive
than pre-contact fires), they intercept precipitation and deprive indigenous
species of the soil water they need for sustenance, they also deprive
aquifers and streams of a moderated subsurface flow that once kept them from
going dry, thus affecting fisheries, other wildlife, and, by the way, the
general and specific welfare of humans, "indigenous" and alien, after the
Great Invasion. We replaced a truly wonderful and bountiful land with a
wasteland of which we continue, generation after generation, to remain
unaware (baseline-shifting). This subject would require too many words for
posting here, but others may add their own thoughts.

As to "Sahara" or "Asian" mustard, it is advancing exponentially in many
places throughout the Southwest, primarily spread by motor vehicles. Expect
fires in this stuff to be "explosive." While local weed experts are fiddling
with other targets of perhaps lower priority (who knows?), Brassica
tournefortii marches on.

WT