[APWG] Ecosystem restoration and management Methodology Allelopathy Field trials etc. Re: Better version--Test plots and transects before the cereal rye moves in

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Mon Aug 17 18:11:00 CDT 2009

Forum:

Sorry for the previous mis-post--clicked inadvertently. .

This looks pretty good to me; my only comments might be that the "toe
survey" protocol (normally one cuts a notch in the toe [good for large
areas]), but surveys need to include some microscopic analysis if one is
interested in (and can afford) info on emerging species, cryptobiotic crust
development, etc., and the main function of a permanent plot is to plot
change; I would suggest bending a loop in the rebar for safety; one also can
use antennas cut to the specific frequency of the detector; a bit more
expensive--well, a lot, but more resistant to damage; I ). Pounding the
rebar down as deeply as possible without compromising later detection after
the data collection phase will minimize both hazard and destruction (except
by rusting, which will happen in any case. Plastic caps also can be used. I
prefer circular plots with only a center and a radius bar, with the plots
separated to avoid edge effects and facilitate later detection and proper
definition. Perhaps there are more modern alternatives of which I am unaware
. . .

Thanks especially, Craig, for the links.

There's a lot to learn about allelopathic effects, such as how they act,
upon which part of the plant they act, and whether the process is operative
above ground or only below ground, or both. I know of no research that has
measured volatile chemical effects in canopies, for example, if they exist
at all--this from my own causal observations, not from disciplined research.
Back in the 60's and 70's it seems that there was a lot of academic
disagreement among researchers like C. H. Muller and ? I haven't kept up
with that specific literature, so there may be (I hope) less disagreement
now. Some have questioned whether or not the whole business is more myth
than reality, but I have observed some pretty suspicious behavior among
plant populations that I could not otherwise account for. I spent the better
part of a day with Muller in the 70's, and he couldn't explain it either.
That indicated to me that he was honest.

Then there're other effects working "with" and "against" allelopathogens
that can affect data.

WT