[APWG] Ecosystem dynamics and function Allelopathy and sterile hybrids etc. Re: Allelopathic chemicals, Dr. Stebbins, and warning about test plots

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Sun Aug 16 09:32:44 CDT 2009

Craig and Forum:

While I do not always keep strictly up to date on the literature, and would
no doubt benefit from a refresher, I was hoping for a more focused reference
to the particular species you mentioned, and the exact allelopathic
mechanisms involved, the trail of evidence, and a sense of any peer
comments.

As we all are acutely aware, such things are notoriously difficult to pin
down with respect to the specific chemistry and its action, so I was hoping
someone would enlighten me about the particular case of the domestic/feral
rye, as starting with square one is something I doubt I could finish in my
lifetime.

I have, like everyone else, observed the apparent effects of phenomena that
"must be" in the realm of allelopathy, but teasing out the specifics has
historically been difficult to do. I am certainly willing to invoke
inference and "common sense," but always welcome proof that those vital
functions have not once again led me astray from reality. At the very least,
I would like to eliminate things like vigor, hybrid vigor, density,
structure, phenological differences, and other factors that influence
"competition."

Thank you Craig, for the Stebbins references. You are quite right about how
to check for sterile seeds, although those with apparently good endosperm
formation (fertile) can have viability problems unrelated to "crossing."
Populations of Leymus (Elymus) species (E. triticoides) may exhibit
different degrees of hybridization within and across geographic regions,
primarily due to two factors: soil fertility (history of disturbance) and
range overlap of one or more other species (If I recall correctly, Stebbins
cited both of these in his 1950's era paper[s], specifically in the case of
E. triticoides and E. condensatus as well as E. glaucus). I have seen large
clones of both hybrids, which are very vigorous and apparently are limited
to asexual propagation via rhizomes. Fertile E. triticoides in the same
region was apparently confined to small, relatively undisturbed refugia,
smaller in stature and stand density/size, and not as vigorous.

Craig, your information about the need for controls and that a single
experiment does not necessarily tell the tale, is very solid. However, tests
in different soils or potting media are limited in the information they can
supply, while within that scope can be very useful, depending upon the
information sought. They are poor predictors of how methods will work in the
field, for example. To test potential field performance of various
modalities, a lot of repetitions are, as you point out, necessary; in the
best of worlds, they would go on for years, with both permanent ones and new
ones added each year. Pretty soon, the test plots become restoration sites.
Seedling survivorship can be very low in the field, for example, and
artificially high in the greenhouse; the converse can also be the case.

WT