[APWG] Fw: Ecosystem restoration and alien species eradication Re: Performance standards to get weed-free and 100% native

Anita Bower anita.bower at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 14 07:43:11 CDT 2009

Caveat:  I write as a layperson/amateur in the field of restoration.

A well-coordinated erradication and restoration seems ideal.  However, some of us may happen to own a few acres (15 in my case) and want to increase natives and decrease aliens, but do not have the interest, resources, time, energy, knowledge to completely restore the property.  I am impressed with what you are doing, but, do not intend to do the same.

In addition to the limitations expressed above. eradication of aliens is almost impossible here in southeast Pennsylvania.  Vines, such as japanese honeysuckle and mile-a-minute are very difficult to erradicate, as are multiflora rose and autumn olive.

And, if eradicated, they come back, brought in on the wind or wing from neighboring properties.

Anita Bower
West Nottingham, PA