[APWG] Plants Alien Invasive Research Re: Completely disagree with--Why Invasive Plants Take Over

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Thu Apr 30 21:10:59 CDT 2009

Dear All:

When I attempted to download the referenced research via the link given in
this email and followed the prompts for "update Adobe Air," the update
failed and the "cancel" option on the "Adobe" dialog boxes did not work. I
had to close all tabs to get out of it, and finally was able to remove the
"Adobe Air" dialog boxes by right clicking on the symbols at the bottom of
the screen and clicking "close." If anyone has been successful at
downloading the pdf file, and would care to send it to me, perhaps I can
read it and try to comment in as well-informed a way as possible.

Alternatively, if Dremann would care to list the specific points which he
believes the "article" misses completely, and which particular "old myths
about exotic plants" are involved, we might all benefit from his analysis.
Additionally, if Dremann would briefly reiterate exactly why he believes (if
he does) that the biology of invasive species is not part of the picture,
that also would be helpful with moving this most important discussion
forward.

While I suspect that I would agree with Dremann about the effects of
European invaders, I wonder just how sowing seeds of indigenous species can
re-establish pre-contact ecosystems and species abundance in the face of
continued European invader influence (e.g. domestic stock foraging,
trampling, etc.).

Craig: Do you believe that the paper intended to ignore or refute your
points? What points did it make specifically that you found to be mythic?

WT