[APWG] NEWS: Biocontrol Insect Exacerbates Invasive Weed

Todd Breitenfeldt breit1 at bigplanet.com
Tue Sep 30 00:06:16 CDT 2008

I have been waiting a long time to answer to this thread as I collect my
thoughts...  There is more to this evolving knapweed "story"...
------------------------
Biocontrol Insect Exacerbates Invasive Weed:
    This may be the case in some sights however, what we are seeing in
many spots in SW Montana is that the knapweed seed head weevil Larinus
minutus soon comes in and starts to infect a large percentage of the
seed heads, displacing the gall flies.   These weevils are not present
in the seed heads during winter (they overwinter as adults) so this
decreases the mouse food source.  This is followed by Agapeta zoegana,
the root boring moth which does not seem to usually kill the plant but
may shorten its life span [both Larinus and Agapeta disperse well by
flight].  Then if we follow up with the knapweed root boring weevils
Cyphocleonus achates
<http://mtwow.org/Cyphocleonus-achates-description.htm> (a very exciting
bio-agent!), we finally are seeing spotted knapweed slowly decrease in
density and in some sites in the Whitehall area and in other MT spots,
almost completely disappear.
http://mtwow.org/Biological_Control_Before_&_After.html
<http://mtwow.org/Biological_Control_Before_&_After.html>
    Cypho. is a large flightless weevil that only attacks plants with a
larger tap root (2-3+ yr. old plants).  Therefore, the effect we are
seeing is that they knock out most of the larger/older plants in a few
years and then it takes 8-12 years to use up most of the soil seed
bank.  http://mtwow.org/Blue-Bird-Mine-Release-Site-sick-plants.html
    The seed head feeders take out most of the seeds, Agapeta weakens
things and Cypho finish off the larger plants.  The sites will often go
from many large knapweed plants to even more smaller plants [per square
meter] as the seeds in the soil sprout after the large plants die, to a
slowly decreasing density of knapweed as the native plants slowly come
back as knapweed decreases....
http://mtwow.org/Blue-Bird-Mine-release-site-views.html
    In MT places like the Bitterroot Valley So. of Missoula where
knapweed has dominated for a very long time there is almost no native
seed left so, cheat grass unfortunately often replaces the knapweed.
Further E. in our area (between Butte and Bozeman) where the knapweed
stands are younger and not as dense, we are seeing the natives able to
come back in, as this 8-12 yr. process proceeds.
    This complex of insects seems to be what is needed and Cypho. are
the crucial insect after the seed head feeders build up.
    We are mass rearing Cypho in insectaries at a number of MT and ID
high schools.  The Ag. Experiment Station in Corvallis, MT started the
insectary rearing of Cypho.  Because Cypho. do not fly we are busy being
"Johnny weevil seed" all over the State.
http://mtwow.org/insectary_ag_experiment_station_corvallis_mt_05.html
Cypho. pops. are building up nicely at many sites in MT.
 Whitehall insectary: http://mtwow.org/knapweed-insectary.htm

To conclude:  Biocontrol Insect Exacerbates Invasive Weed is a real
effect however, I feel that it is short lived as the other bio-agents
within the imported complex become established, this problem will go
away, as will much of the spotted knapweed.

-most of the above statements are anecdotal...
-my personal goal is a release of Cypho. every 1/4 section where ever
knapweed occurs.

Todd Breitenfeldt
Whitehall High School sci. teacher
Whitehall Biological Weed Control Project Coord.
http://mtwow.org/