[APWG] Measure a square foot of flammable exotic biomass, in all 50 States?

Craig Dremann - Redwood City Seed Company Craig at astreet.com
Mon Sep 29 14:47:00 CDT 2008

Dear All,

Perhaps what would be interesting, is to measure a square foot of these
invader exotic flammable grasses, like the fountaingrass in Arizona, the
cheatgrass and exotic wheatgrasses in the Great Basin, etc. and during the
fire-season months, compare them to a square-foot of the flammable portion
of the native perennial grasses and forb biomasses, so we can measure the
extent of the change in flammable biomass?

I am estimating that the fires in California have up to 100 times the
original native biomass in places, so it is no wonder that we have had
over 2,000 fires in the last four months?

Once a fire does sweep through the exotic understory, that is the perfect
time to resow the less flammable local native understory, and I am
currently working with a group of home owners who want to do that after
the fires in Mendocino County right now.  The per square foot measurement
of both the exotics and the local natives, is giving them a starting
place, from which to base their plantings.

Sincerely,  Craig Dremann, Redwood City, CA (650) 325-7333