[APWG] Why remove invasives

Marc Imlay ialm at erols.com
Thu Oct 9 21:14:05 CDT 2008

Hi John,

We have several parks each over 100 acres that are nearly cleared of
invasives. We found that it is critical to use both herbicides and hand
pulling. The former for mono-cultural herbaceous patches and the latter
where the invasives are mixed with natives. Inject herbicides into the trees
but hand pull the seedlings.

Start volunteers in the less invaded areas so that larger areas can be saved
successfully in a reasonable amount of time from becoming like the other
highly invaded areas we show the volunteers for contrast.  Cheers.

Dr. Marc Imlay

Conservation Biologist
Anacostia Watershed Society
(301-699-6204, 301-283-0808, 301-442-5657 cell)

Vice president of the Maryland Native Plant Society,

Board member of the Mid-Atlantic Exotic Pest Plant Council,

Hui o Laka at Kokee State Park, Hawaii

Chair of the Biodiversity and Habitat Stewardship Committee
for the Maryland Chapter of the Sierra Club.