[APWG] invasive removal & native planting, Oct 11, Carderock Navy base (Bethesda, MD)

Susan Reines sreines at wildlifehc.org
Fri Oct 3 13:29:27 CDT 2008

Greetings!
I'd like to invite you to an invasive plant removal & native planting event
at Carderock Navy base (Bethesda, Maryland) on Saturday, October 11 from 10am-2pm. This
event is being organized by the nonprofit organization Wildlife Habitat
Council and funded by the Department of Defense's Legacy Resource
Management Program. It's a great way to improve natural areas and give back
to the troops at the same time. It may seem unusual to do habitat
restoration on a military installation, but in our heavily populated area,
undeveloped land on military installations is an extremely valuable
resource.

Event details are below. Please note that installation security needs to
prearrange access for volunteers, so it's necessary to RSVP
(sreines at wildlifehc.org or 240-247-0912). People of all ages are welcome!
Thank you so much!

Susan Reines
Wildlife Habitat Council
sreines at wildlifehc.org
240-247-0912
www.wildlifehc.org

EVENT INFORMATION:
WHEN: Saturday October 11 10am-2pm
WHERE: Naval Support Facility Carderock (Bethesda, MD). Take the Clara
Barton Parkway to the Carderock exit, meet at Visitor's Center
WHAT: Removing invasive plants (we'll likely focus on porcelainberry &
oriental bittersweet, but we will decide based on manpower and the
conditions at the time of the event) & planting natives around the
installation's constructed wetland
IMPORTANT INFO: Installation security has to prearrange access for
volunteers. Please RSVP to sreines at wildlifehc.org or call Susan at