[APWG] Invaders

ialm at erols.com ialm at erols.com
Thu Oct 2 11:08:04 CDT 2008

To further reply, yes it is true that sometimes biological diversity
increases when continents collide, but this takes a minimum of 100,000
years. The Hawaiian island of Kauai is 8 million years old and has much
more diversity than the Big Island of Hawaii which is only 1 million years
old. Do we want to wait that long?

Richard Leakey wrote the 6th extinction, caused by Homo quasi-sapiens, in
which one of the 5 big asteroid extinctions greatly decreased biological
diversity forever. There was a loss forever of about a dozen fundamental
forms of life out of about 3 dozen. (We are the endoderm/mesoderm/ectoderm
form).  Is the current extinction caused by transport of non-native
species, etc., as bad as the worst natural one? If so limiting movement of
non-native invasive species, followed when necessary by host specific
biological controls such as the weevil for mile-a-minute vine, and early
detection/rapid response such as for wavyleaf basketgrass may keep us under
the threshold so that biological diversity will recover in a million years
rather than never recover. Cheers.

Marc Imlay, PhD

Conservation biologist, Anacostia Watershed Society
(301-699-6204, 301-283-0808)

Board member of the Mid-Atlantic Exotic Pest Plant Council,

Hui o Laka at Kokee State Park, Hawaii

Vice president of the Maryland Native Plant Society,

Chair of the Biodiversity and Habitat Stewardship Committee
for the Maryland Chapter of the Sierra Club.