[APWG] Altering is too kind, destroy not strong enough

Karen Adair kadair at TNC.ORG
Fri Mar 21 19:35:00 CDT 2008

If you don't want to be subjected to a ridiculously long and to-the-point email, please read no further. I've been writing and questioning whether I should respond to your email Bob or just let it go, but could not. These discussions have made me wonder whether they are about fueling our internal fires through spirited debate or trying to use discussion as a means to an end. Do we write to inform, stay current, or possibly change minds by supplying facts or just air our opinions for the mere sake of it? I am writing based on information I have acquired from my job in this field, what I learn from current research and from my education. I could supply these facts straight from my textbooks if need be. Bob, can you please tell me where your science comes from? I am on the listserve and write because I do not take my role in conservation lightly. There are hundreds and thousands of people working in this field who expose themselves every day to chemicals, fire, and remote and dangerous locations and tasks because they want to be effective in protecting our environment. Work that is dictated by the best available science. I would not put myself in harm's way to do the work I do for anyone's value judgments or inflammatory rhetoric and view that mentality as ignorant of the work conservationists do.

Comparing a land manager/conservation agency with formal education and experience with our natural world to the average homeowner is comparing oranges and apples. If you find a land manager who just grabs their "aphid-be-gone" without assessing the environmental impacts and weighing the pros and cons, they should find another career. Our job is to protect the environment through sound decision making.

While an agricultural plant is or may be exotic, they are not necessarily invasive and comparisons should not be made to invasive exotics in the wild. An ag. plant is planted in defined and tended soil, fertilized, chemically treated and watered to thrive. Their existence and survival depends almost entirely on human intervention. Invasive exotics have their own set of competitive advantages and tools that allow them to thrive unaided. We just plant them.

You actually supported why invasives are bad when you said that monocultures are highly susceptible to insects/diseases - therefore why we should avoid them. Monocultures at such a large scale do not exist in nature, because nature has defenses to keep that from happening or for very long - and that's not coincidence. There's no greater proof that monocultures are "bad" than the fact that the natural world which supports all life forms selects diversity over monocultures. Organic farming successfully avoids the use of pesticides by not planting crops in monocultures - no doubt an idea copied from nature. We use herbicides in our natural areas to maintain or restore those systems back to their previously un-infested state, so that we won't have to apply billions of gallons of pesticides every year. Healthy functioning ecosystems are the best "pesticide" there is.

Bob, you said you concede to eating chemically treated plants to live, but do not feel the same about chemicals on our public lands. So, what you are saying is that you'll accept the negatives for your own survival, but weigh it differently for other life forms? Well, food is just one part of our survival. We also need clean water and air which come from our natural resources. Our survival depends just as much on functioning forests, oceans, and wetlands as on apples and corn, but let me emphasize - functioning.

Hundreds and thousands of years of evolution could and will create new systems from our currently invaded ones if left unmanaged, however, there are very real threats to the environment and humans happening right now and in the meantime. For instance, fire is a huge problem out west and in many parts of the world because invasives have altered fire regimes or in some cases have added fire when there was none previously. These invasive plants have altered fuel type and load, burn frequency and intensity among many other factors. Not only does that change in fire regime have serious consequences to those ecosystems and our planet overall, but to the health and economy of those communities and states that live in and depend on those functioning systems and all the resources they provide: food, clean water and air, erosion control, flood prevention and on and on.

I don't think anyone would disagree with you Bob that these invaded systems could or will become entirely new systems through time and evolution, but while that change is happening, many species will be lost. Time is indeed the critical part in all of this. It takes plants and animals hundreds and thousands of years to adapt to change. Even the generalists now are having a hard time with our rapidly changing environment. I think it is difficult for most of us to sit back and say, that's ok that in the last 24 hours we just lost 10 species forever under our watch, because in 10,000 years there will be 10 new ones. Not to mention that there are no dispensable species in nature. The loss of one affects many and each loss compounds with time.

I would challenge you Bob to analyze what would happen to a system left to invasion. It's easy to say pesticides are bad, but do you have a good alternative? Do you think conservationists enjoy exposing themselves to chemicals and dealing with public backlash? Here's an example. I had correspondence with someone from the listserve about invasives/herbicides in their region. This is part of an article he sent me about the effects of invasives out west.

...."Gibbs compares using herbicide to putting antiseptic on a wound to give
the body' healing processes an edge over bacteria. The West is crawling
with examples of what happens when infection spreads. In Montana, a
40,000-acre spotted knapweed invasion in the Selway-Bitterroot
Wilderness has reduced elk forage in some places by 70 percent,
according to Jerry Asher, who spent 11 years with the BLM educating the
public about noxious weeds.
Perennial pepperweed came to Lassen County in 1996, Gibbs says, and now
infests 64,000 acres, where it threatens habitat for the endangered
Carson wandering skipper. And squarrose knapweed, discovered in Utah 40
years ago, now covers hundreds of thousands of acres.."

If you just focused on the first example of a 40,000+ area with a knapweed invasion reducing elk forage by 70% - start to think of how elk rely on, help maintain, and are needed by various components of that ecosystem and they alone are just one small part of it. So, hypothetically we do nothing there to correct the invasive problem, what happens in the meantime? What will happen to the species there currently and what will it look like over time? I'd truthfully be interested to hear what you perceive the chain of events to be as maybe I am missing something - and I am open to that. My job would be a lot easier if I could stop worrying about invasives.

I'd also be interested to hear what your solution is to not using chemicals as I'm constantly thinking of every alternative and have yet to find a good one. Should we get out our shovels and hand dig 40,000 acres of knapweed? Or, if we leave the invasives to invade with the idea that the system will evolve over time, and we find (because we will) species after species declining and our endangered and extinct species list climbing, do we continue to do nothing? We watch them all go? Are you suggesting we wave them goodbye? Perhaps ourselves included?

If we really care about making a difference, I hope we all consider our invovlement on this listserve as with anything else - seriously. It is a tool for environmental improvement. I hope we write with information that can be useful when making decisions about our natural world. Assumptions without an ounce of scientific backing are not helpful. I think it is fine to propose them to get people thinking and perhaps to encourage new research, but beating a dead horse is not helpful.

It is obvious by your numerous emails that you care Bob just as I do. I'm hoping everyone, myself included, keeps solutions in mind about all else. Discussions can be helpful in many ways, but solutions are what we're after. Or, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks. Karen