[APWG] Altering is too kind, destroy not strong enough

Gena Fleming genafleming at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 16:32:57 CST 2008

Hi:

I really appreciate this contribution from Bob.  He said it all so
well, but  I would like to add some comments too, all in the
affirmative.    In the sake of brevity, I'm summarizing his points,
not always exact quotes.  Hope that's o.k. (his full text is below).

a) Re: ecosystem = interactive system:.  Yes, it is.  And that's why
ecosystems are constantly changing.  That's part of their resilience.
It is the integrity of the ecosystem itself that we should be
safeguarding, not just select plants.

b)  Re:  It's possible to destroy an ecosystem by bulldozing, etc.
Yes.  But genetic engineering involves the actual invasion and
deconstruction of DNA code.  This is a type of compromise to the
integrity of the ecosystem that can hybridize, mutate, interact with
pollinators, soil fertility, in all kinds of unpredictable ways.
These plants don't look different from other plants, so aerial photos
are going to be no help at all in detecting them.  This is
deconstruction of ancestral heritage.  What's at risk is the integrity
of the entire system, not just a habitat.

c)  Re:  definition of "destroy" = "to reduce (an object) to useless
fragments, a useless form or remains" .  Yes, and relevant to this,
genetic engineering is cutting and pasting the DNA code between genera
and kingdoms.  That's destruction through fragmentation and introduces
chaos, undermining the very organizational foundations of life.

d) Re:  many of the most hated exotics provide profound ecological
benefits...:  Yes, they do.  That's why they're there.  A living
system is an intelligent system and it tries to self heal.  In fact,
iff we were more botanically literate, we would understand that many
of these plants are also incredibly useful to us in other ways--- in
terms of animal feed, medicine, etc.  We would be harvesting them and
worried about running them into extinction.  However, since we rely so
heavily on established industries, petrochemicals for fuel, drugs,
etc., we are doing little to harvest these valuable plants for our own
benefit.

e) RE: "Efforts and resources aimed at eradicating plants that alter
ecosystems detract from efforts and resources that might be focused on
activities that actually do "destroy" ecosystems."    Yes!  Herbicides
and even the introduction of biologic predators  are quite harmful.
And we are being distracted from bigger threats.  Genetic engineering
is posing a real threat, not to just certain plants, but to the
integrity of the ecosystem itself.   I believe our concern about
invasive species would be better placed here.

f) RE;  "language affects tactics" "Our culture in America teaches to
hate our enemies" etc.  Yes! Yes! Yes!  The war paradigm is everywhere
in everything.  It is in the video games, in the movies, in our
strategies, in our rules for effective composition, in our rules for
intelligent "debate", in our sports, in our "problem solving"
strategies,  etc. etc.

Why are we worried about TAKS scores when our children all over our
country (and now other countries too) are walking into school armed to
the gills, and shooting one another and then themselves.  These are
the problem-solving tactics we have taught them.   And they are taking
it literally.  The subconscious mind tends to do that.

So, if we can just put down that Round-up can for a moment.... that's
right..... just back up slowly now.... easy. . .  nobody needs to get
hurt here . . .

: )

best regards,

Gena Fleming

On 05/03/2008, Bob Beyfuss <rlb14 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> This is an interesting topic for discussion and it seems to have awakened many readers on this listserve. I do think that language matters in discussions and I think that thoughtful discussions may prevent rash actions that end up doing more harm than good.
>
> The term ecosystem was coined in 1930 by Roy Clapham, to denote the physical and biological components of an environment considered in relation to each other as a unit. British ecologist Arthur Tansley later refined the term, describing it as the interactive system established between biocoenosis (a group of living creatures) and their biotope (the environment in which they live).
>
> It certainly is possible to "destroy" an ecosystem by bulldozing and paving it over, thus removing the living components.  When a Utility company blows the top off a mountain in West Virginia to mine coal, I would say that the Mt top ecosystem has been destroyed. If left alone, i.e. not paved over, a new ecosystem will arise. That new ecosystem may consist mostly of exotic plants. I don't think any ecosystem is destroyed when  living organism such as plants are introduced. I also believe that humans are integral parts of ecosystems. The ecosystem is changed or altered when exotic plants are introduced but ecosystems are never static to begin with and are constantly changing. Environmental changes (man made or not) dictate that different life forms will be favored at the expense of others.
>
> Efforts and resources aimed at eradicating plants that alter ecosystems detract from efforts and resources that might be focused on activities that actually do "destroy" ecosystems. There is an important distinction here. We can only fight so many battles at one time, the tricky part is deciding where to fight and how much one is willing to spend on the fight.
>
> Please see my comments below following Phillips accurately quoted definitions of "destroy".
>
> tto reduce (an object) to useless fragments, a useless form, or remains...(I contend that no plant can render an ecosystem as useless. Useless to who? to what? Many of the most hated invasive, exotic plants such as Tatarian honeysuckle, Autumn olive, multiflora rose, etc provide profound ecological benefits to native wildlife. The 50+ species of wildlife that feed on these and other invasive plants would not consider it useless at all.)  As for fragmentation, we build roads into pristine environments literally "destroying" parts of that ecosystem with blacktop, truthfully fragmenting those ecosystems into pieces that needed to stay connected to function as they once did and when the roadsides are colonized by exotic plants we blame them for the ecological damage?

> [...]

Gena Fleming, MS, LAc
www.plantbyplant.com