[APWG] FW: removing periwinkle at Monticello

Marc Imlay ialm at erols.com
Wed Mar 5 06:53:15 CST 2008

Hi Peter,

I am excited about your removal of Akebia at Monticello. Perhaps you could
leave the smaller amount of periwinkle that was there historically and
remove the rest that would not be historically accurate. It took 114
volunteer hours to eradicate a one acre patch at Swann Park so 40-50 acres
would take about 20 people a day for 40-50 days.  If you back pack spray,
the Jack in the pulpit, false soloman's seal, black cohosh, Stellaria
pubera, Geranium maculatum, that seem to coexist with the Vinca in this area
would have to be carefully avoided. What was the colonial density of deer?
Could you justify deer control for historic as well as natural heritage
reasons? Cheers.

Marc Imlay, PhD

Conservation biologist, Anacostia Watershed Society

(301-699-6204, 301-283-0808)

Board member of the Mid-Atlantic Exotic Pest Plant Council,

Hui o Laka at Kokee State Park, Hawaii

Vice president of the Maryland Native Plant Society,

Chair of the Biodiversity and Habitat Stewardship Committee

for the Maryland Chapter of the Sierra Club.

  _____