[APWG] Altering is too kind, destroy not strong enough

Craig Dremann - Redwood City Seed Company Craig at astreet.com
Tue Mar 4 14:13:07 CST 2008

Dear All,

I am very surpised to read the discussions on the semantics, of what to
call exotic plants and their impacts on local native ecosystems.

I can only speak from the California perspective, where 99% of the
understory of our native ecosystems between 2 and 2,000 feet elevation,
have been replaced by over 1,000 species of exotic plants.

What do you call that effect, using words that express such a complete
extermination of native ecosystems, within only 150 years or less?

Ecosystem genocide?  Permanent native vegetation extinction, continuing
through geologic time?

Sincerely,  Craig Dremann (650) 325-7333