[APWG] Fw: Please join us for our next river cleanup on Saturday, June 7 (Ellicott City/Oella) ( 8:45 am - 1 pm)

Jil_Swearingen at nps.gov Jil_Swearingen at nps.gov
Thu Jun 5 11:29:23 CDT 2008

----- Forwarded by Jil Swearingen/NCR/NPS on 06/05/2008 12:29 PM -----

                      "Patapsco Friend"
                      <patapscofriend at c        To:       "Patapsco Valley Friends" <patapscofriend at comcast.net>
                      omcast.net>              cc:       (bcc: Jil Swearingen/NCR/NPS)
                                               Subject:  Please join us for our next river cleanup on Saturday, June 7 (Ellicott
                      06/05/2008 12:13          City/Oella)  ( 8:45 am - 1 pm)
                      PM AST

River cleanup on Saturday, June 7 (9 am - 12 pm) historic Ellicott
City/Oella.  Please arrive by 8:45 to register so we can start promptly at
9 am!  Please RSVP if you plan to join us!

River cleanup along the Patapsco River in historic Oella/Ellicott City
along Route 144.  Betsy McMillion is our stream captain.  Volunteers will
meet near the bridge that crosses the Patapsco River on the Baltimore
County side, near the Wilkins Rogers Flour Mill  (just past the bridge over
the Patapsco River that separates Baltimore and Howard counties).  We will
be cleaning up the riverbank that runs parallel to Route 144 (Frederick
Road) along the river behind the stone wall up to River Road.  Please park
in public parking lot A next to the Trolley Stop Restaurant.  For a
detailed map of the historic district, please go to
http://www.ellicottcity.net/tourism/parking.

We hope you can join us for our upcoming clean up on Saturday, June 7 in
historic Oella/Ellicott City.  Wear comfortable shoes and clothes.  We
recommend that our volunteers wear long pants and shirt, so any prickly
underbrush or insects won't bother you!  Chances are you may get wet, so
you might want to wear appropriate clothes and water-proof shoes or boots.
We also recommend everyone bring their own sunscreen and insect repellant.
Unfortunately, there are no nearby restrooms available, so please plan
accordingly.

Please bring your own work or garden gloves and a shovel if you have one.
There are some large embedded items near the water that can only be removed
with shovels.  There are also lots of "floatable" items that have been
washed down nearby storm drains off Route 144, county roads and parking
lots which end up in our streams and rivers!  We need all the help we can
get!  To get an idea of what happens during our cleanup events, please
visit the website where we post photos of our volunteers in action at
http://patapscofriend.myphotoalbum.com. We will provide bottled water and
some snacks for the thirsty and hungry.  It's hard work picking up this
trash!

This stream cleanup will be cancelled in the event of rain.  In the event
of light rain, please call 410-480-0824 to verify the event has not been
cancelled.

For our high school and college students who need forms signed confirming
community service hours, please bring your form, complete the appropriate
sections and our stream captain will complete and sign the forms for you at
the end of the event.

DIRECTIONS:

HOWARD COUNTY

Take US Route 29 North (Columbia Pike)
Take Exit 24A to merge onto Route 40 East (Baltimore National Pike)
Turn RIGHT at the first traffic light onto Rogers Avenue
Continue down the road for approximately 1/2 mile and when the road begins
to curve, turn RIGHT and continue onto Rogers Avenue.
Turn LEFT onto Route 144 East (Frederick Road, which turns into Main
Street).
Continue approximately 8/10 mile through the historic district and cross
the bridge (over the Patapsco River) into Baltimore County.
Make your first LEFT onto Oella Avenue (near the Trolley Stop)
Park in Parking Lot A on your right, just past the Trolley Stop Restaurant
Parking is free.

The closest address to our meeting location is Wilkins Rogers, Inc., 27
Frederick Road, Ellicott City, MD  21043.  I will have a cell phone turned
on from 8:30 am - 12 pm on the day of the event if you are lost or need to
speak to the stream captain at 410-294-9267.

BALTIMORE COUNTY

>From Route 695 (Baltimore Beltway) headed northbound
Take Exit 13 Maryland Route 144 (Frederick Road)
Turn LEFT at the traffic light onto Frederick Road (Maryland Route 144)
Travel approximately 4 miles
Turn right at Oella Avenue (now be careful - there are two Oella Avenue
entrances off this road -- you want the 2nd one close to the river)

Park in Parking Lot A on your right, just past the Trolley Stop Restaurant
Parking is free.

The closest address to our meeting location is Wilkins Rogers, Inc., 27
Frederick Road, Ellicott City, MD  21043.  I will have a cell phone turned
on from 8:30 am - 12 pm on the day of the event if you are lost or need to
speak to the stream captain at 410-294-9267.
Hope you can join us!

Sincerely,

Betsy McMillion, Stream Watch Coordinator
Friends of the Patapsco Valley & Heritage Greenway
6759 Athol Avenue
Elkridge, MD  21075
patapscofriend at comcast.net
www.patapscoheritagegreenway.org
410-480-0824 (work)

Check out photos of our recent events at
http://patapscofriend.myphotoalbum.com

Save the earth!  It's the only planet with chocolate!

IMPORTANT NOTE:  If you want removed from our email notification list,
please email us back and place "REMOVE FROM EMAIL LIST" on the subject
line.  If you inadvertently receive this email more than once, or if your
email address changes, please be sure to let us know!