[APWG] Fw: Emerald Ash Borer infestation - confirmed in Fairfax County - what's being done & what YOU can do!

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Thu Jul 10 13:23:19 CDT 2008

Emerald Ash Borer has been confirmed in Fairfax County!  Read on to see
what's being done and what you can do!

-Patricia

----- Forwarded by Patricia De Angelis/ARL/R9/FWS/DOI on 07/10/2008 09:16
AM -----

WHAT'S BEING DONE...

On Monday, July 7 the Forest Pest Branch of the Urban Forest Management
Division, DPWES received a phone call from the Virginia Department of
Forestry (VDOF) requesting an inspection of ash trees located near
Campbell
Way in Herndon for possible infestation by emerald ash borer (EAB).  Upon
inspection of the trees, Forest Pest staff suspected EAB and promptly
notified the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
(VDACS).

On Tuesday, July 8 representatives from the Forest Pest, VDACS, and the
United States Department of Agriculture-Animal and Plant Health Inspection
Service (USDA-APHIS) met at the site to investigate the trees and collect
samples.

On Wednesday, July 9, we received a positive EAB identification from
USDA-APHIS.

Now that USDA-APHIS has confirmed the infestation the national "emerald
ash
borer science advisory panel" (part of USDA) will recommend a course of
action. Due to the fact that Fairfax County is already surrounded by EAB
infested states (MD, WV, and PA) staff does not anticipate an EAB
eradication project will be recommended (like that implemented in the Wolf
Trap area in 2003); but, instead Fairfax County will be placed in a
Federal
EAB quarantine area. However, we will learn more concerning the USDA-APHIS
course of action early next week.

In coordination with USDA-APHIS/ VDACS, Forest Pest staff will be setting
out additional EAB traps in the Herndon vicinity to detect the extent of
the EAB infestation over the next few days. Staff will update the Board
about the extent of the EAB infestation and on pending USDA-APHIS/ VDACS
actions.

FYI - ash trees are estimated to comprise 4 - 5% of Fairfax County's total
tree population. This equates to approximately 1.5 to 2 million trees.
Although, individual landscape trees can be treated for EAB, there are no
treatments available to manage this insect on a wide-scale basis;
therefore, short of a new research/treatment break-through, it is
reasonable to expect significant levels of ash tree loss from EAB over the
next decade or so.

Unfortunately we also have an all-but-confirmed infestation in the
Newington Area (our staff has visually confirmed adult EAB beetles but
they
have not been sent to the Feds for an official ID confirmation).  The
Emerald Ash Borer adult beetles are emerging at this time and will
continue
to do so for another 2 to 3 weeks, therefore we may get more cases from
other areas of the County.

Here are some links to sites containing EAB information:

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpwes/environmental/eab_general.htm

http://www.emeraldashborer.info/

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/plant_pest_info/emerald_ash_b/index.shtml

Michael P Knapp
Director, Urban Forest Management Division
Land Development Services
Fairfax County Department of Public Works and Environmental Services
703.324.1770
703.803.7769 fax

Our mission is to enhance the quality of life in our community by ensuring
the vitality of the urban forest and its management, and to preserve the
natural environment.  We promote compatibility between the developed and
natural communities through science, education, shared knowledge and
strong
partnerships.

WHAT YOU CAN DO...

County officials want your help in determining the extent of the
infestation..."To help officials, homeowners are asked to report any signs
of declining or dying ash trees. Call the Fairfax County Forest Pest
Program at 703-324-5304, TTY 711. Visit
www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpwes/environmental/eab_general.htm for more
information on identifying ash trees or the beetle."

See this attachment for more information!