[APWG] NEWS: Conservation Strategies Must Shift with Global Environmental Change

Gena Fleming genafleming at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 17:56:26 CST 2008

Dear Jennifer and All:

Here is the court decision calling for a halt to field trials of GM
crops (?) (dated February 2007):
http://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/pubs/GTBC_Doc_94_Opinion%202-5-07.pdf

This news story, dated March, 2007, announces preliminary approval of
the GM rice in Kansas:
http://www.hpj.com/archives/2007/mar07/mar12/USDAapprovesplantogrowgenet.cfm

And below, I will post an article dated May 21, 2007 about moving
forward with Ventria's GM rice planting in Kansas..  What concerns me
is that it appears the drug they are growing in the rice does not even
have final approval by the FDA as a rice, and yet it is allowed to
enter our ecosystem.

I think we need to ask the question ---- What is the structure of a
research protocol that could possibly give adequate preliminary
evaluation of the types of consequences we are going to encounter by
growing these genetically altered crops in open fields?  Nature is an
integrated, open system.  That pretty much excludes any type of
variable control, doesn't it?

Here's the May article:

Farmers Worry About Genetically Modified Rice Approval

WASHINGTON, DC, May 21, 2007 (ENS) - The National Farmers Union
expressed "great concern" over today's approval by the U.S. Department
of Agriculture's Animal Plant and Health Inspection Service, APHIS, to
allow Ventria Bioscience to plant rice that is genetically modified to
produce pharmaceuticals in Kansas.

The decision "poses a potential risk to the American food supply,"
said the National Farmers Union, NFU, which represents 250,000 farm
and ranch families in all U.S. states.

"America's farmers have suffered the economic consequences of two
major instances when unapproved genetically modified rice entered the
food supply in the past year," said NFU President Tom Buis.

Ventria Bioscience, a biotech company based in Sacramento, California,
is developing a product made from genetically engineered rice that
helped reduce the duration of diarrhea in children by 30 percent, as
part of an oral rehydration solution. Childhood diarrhea is the second
leading killer of children, according to the World Health
Organization.

Last September, Kansas and Ventria officials agreed to establish a
bioprocessing facility for plant-made pharmaceuticals in Junction
City.

Kansas Governor Kathleen Sebelius said, "I welcome Ventria Bioscience
to Kansas and look forward to their contributions to the health of
children worldwide."

The facility will process Ventria's biotech rice. Proteins extracted
from the rice will be incorporated into oral rehydration solutions to
address childhood diarrhea. Ventria is also developing other products
using these proteins. The rice itself is discarded.

Farmers are expected to be among the project's major beneficiaries, as
those who grow the rice that supplies the facility can earn a premium
compared to their next most lucrative crop, said Kansas Agriculture
Secretary Adrian Polansky.

"This is as an important development for Kansas farmers, who stand to
benefit from the additional income," Polansky said. "They also have
the satisfaction of knowing they are helping provide affordable
healthcare products to children who desperately need it."

Buis said National Farmers Union is concerned that the Ventria
Bioscience's proposal does not specifically address the necessary
safety precautions for transit of the rice.

He said that a significant risk may exist to all crops and soils
neighboring the transportantion route.

Buis said that despite Kansas' recent devastating tornadoes and
disastrous flooding, part of APHIS' response to official comments was
that "extreme weather events are unlikely to occur in the area of the
field trial."

"Until USDA and FDA improve oversight and regulation of pharma crops,
NFU will remain extremely concerned about pharma commodity production
based on economic, environmental, food safety and liability risks to
both producers and consumers," Buis said.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has not approved the rice-grown
drugs due to potentially hazardous side effects. "This lack of
approval means Ventria Bioscience does not have a sufficient market,"
said Buis, "thus the production of this crop appears to provide no
benefit to Kansas farmers or the economy."

 Gena Fleming
genafleming at gmail.com

--
Gena Fleming, MS, LAc