[APWG] NEWS: Conservation Strategies Must Shift with Global Environmental Change

Bob Beyfuss rlb14 at cornell.edu
Fri Feb 1 10:41:17 CST 2008

This is the best article I have ever seen cited on this list serve. People
need to wake up the the fact that virtually every ecosystem on this planet
is now dramatically different than it was even 50 years ago due to human
activity on a global scale.  Efforts to "restore" ecosystems that have been
altered by irreversible global changes, such as doubling the carbon dioxide
levels in the atmosphere and rising temperatures, are a huge waste of money
and resources. Invasive plants are just one of the many symptoms of these
changes yet we declare "war" on alien, exotic, species that "menace" us as
though killing off these plants will somehow solve the problem.