[APWG] Plants Indigenous Native and Alien Re: 2008 12-21 letter to Dereck Fell

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Sat Dec 27 00:58:32 CST 2008

The library has in its collection the Encyclopedia of Hardy Plants, a book by Derek Fell, copyright date 2007, published by Firefly Books, LTDAll:

A very nice letter. I hope that Mr. Fell responds favorably.

However, the history of invasions of other plants and organisms is full of such cases where plant fanciers want to overrule Nature or God or reality, and place plants according to their desires wherever they want them. "Hardy" is hardly a sufficient criterion for living with Nature; often the term's meaning to gardeners is limited to whether or not a plant will freeze in a given area.

It is ironic that the more "hardy" an alien plant is--that is, the more suited the new environment it is, the more likely it is to proliferate, and thus interefere with the interactions of the species which have co-evolved together in any one place (habitat or microhabitat). Plants which do not reproduce in habitats into which they are introduced or even in other nearby or even distant habiats to which their propagules might be transported by natural agency (wind, animals, etc.) are least likely to do harm by proliferating in natural areas or other places where they are not wanted.

These habitats will always be with us, but to the extent that they can be resisted, the better off will be Nature, and humans and their cultural/economic systems.

Keep up the good work.

WT