[APWG] CONFERENCE: Invasive Species in Natural Areas (Missoula, MT; Feb 13-14, 2008)

Olivia Kwong plant at plantconservation.org
Thu Sep 20 10:04:07 CDT 2007

Invasive Species in Natural Areas: A Conference on Impacts and Management
13-14 February 2008
Missoula, Montana

A conference at the interface between applied research and management of
invasive species in natural areas: During two days, university and agency
researchers will meet with land managers of the Rocky Mountain States to
discuss possibilities and problems specific to the management of invasive
species in natural areas.

In three concurrent sessions, presenters will address impacts, management,
and restoration practices for invasive species in natural areas.
Presentations will attempt to provide answers to the following four
underlying questions:

     * Individual invasive species management versus community oriented
management; what do we want to see when we look at natural areas?
     * Restoration with exotic versus native species; how native do natural
areas have to be?
     * Greatly degraded natural areas; what can we do besides throwing our
hands up?
     * Invasive species replacement; how do we break out of the vicious
cycle?

In addition, participants will discuss the formation of a Rocky Mountain
EPPC (Exotic Plant Pest Council)

Mark your calendars!

Attendance will be limited to 350 persons!

A second circular with information on selected keynote speakers,
registration information, and presentation submission information will be
sent out in September.

On behalf of the organizers: Marijka Wessner, Missoula County Weed
District and Mark Schwarzlnder, University of Idaho