[APWG] FIRE 07 Climate change Re: NEWS: Climate change likely to increase fires

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Mon Oct 15 10:28:31 CDT 2007

It's great to see this issue getting more press.  But, I also see where
Wayne is coming from.

The article below mentions two conditions that will contribute to the
proliferation of invasives in response to global climate change:
fires deposit nutrients into the soil that encourage the growth of
cheatgrass
increased atmospheric carbon dioxide, typically associated with climate
changes, encourages the growth of tough cheatgrass

I just attended a conference two weeks ago on global climate change and
the effect on local flora in the Appalachians of Maryland and West
Virginia.  One of the speakers mentioned that recent research was
suggesting that invasives would take off with global climate change - that
the hotter, drier conditions will favor them.  He pointed out that this is
not necessarily true.  Microstegium (Japanese stiltgrass), for instance,
which is plaguing the Appalachians is not good at getting into the drier
sites.

So, although I am pleased at the increased attention to this issue, I
think Wayne's point is well taken.  As plant scientists, it's important
for us to resist the urge to put specific situations into a general
"Inbox."  Different species will react differently in different
environments.  It's our job to explore the possibilities and to help
others understand them without making sweeping generalizations.

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 110
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276
Working for the conservation and sustainable use of our green natural
resources.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

Wayne Tyson <landrest at cox.net>
Sent by: rwg-bounces at lists.plantconservation.org
10/12/2007 11:02 PM

Olivia Kwong <plant at plantconservation.org>,
native-plants at lists.plantconservation.org,
apwg at lists.plantconservation.org, rwg at lists.plantconservation.org
cc

Subject
[RWG] FIRE 07 Climate change Re: NEWS: Climate change likely to increase
fires

Invasive plants like the Sahara mustard are quite likely to be a factor in
wildfires, as they fill spaces between widely-scattered shrubs, and
climate change will no doubt affect fire behavior, but I yearn for more
evidence and less opinion and conjecture regarding such sweeping
conclusions.  It makes for good press, but what is needed is good research
and solid data.  Fires have, and will continue to be, a factor in Great
Basin ecosystems, but the real question is what precisely is the
connection between the data and the conclusions, and what is the marginal
difference.  Sensationalism destroys credibility, and "we" need
credibility more than ever in these truly pivotal times.

WT